IS THE HAWKSBURY FIRING

bigblock

Hi all,

I am just looking to see if anyone has had any sucsess in the Hawksbury river lately? Im looking at going out tonight to try and hook up a Jew or two. I have my spots but lately it's been quite has antone found it different?

I have found it very quiet. Reports suggest jewies in the harbour, and other catches in Botany Bay, but the poor old Hawkesbury.......

I am going to have a crack at Stokes Pt Sunday arvo and i'll try to be a bit more patient.....hopefully be armed with 3 rods loaded as follows:

1. fresh mullet strips - if i can catch a couple in Narrabeen Lakes on Saturday
  2. live poddy mullet......I saw them working Careel Bay flats last week and I've got pretty good at catching these guys
  3. and live nippers

Lots of berley......i put a tuna oil soaked sponge in a berley cage and drop it 45 feet.

High tide at 8pm, and a light easterly predicted. Gotta be in it to win it!

I haven't fished the hawkesbury for a month roughly but it was slow going last time. West reef held a lot juvenile snapper, scorpion fish and many port jacksons. The flatties were few and far between around patonga area and mostly undersized. Flint and steel was slow for only a few bream. Spencer area produced some nice EPs and a few barely legal soapies and bream.

haven't been out recently though. going to give it crack these coming weekends to suss out a game plan for the classic though.

good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

I have found it very quiet. Reports suggest jewies in the harbour, and other catches in Botany Bay, but the poor old Hawkesbury.......

I am going to have a crack at Stokes Pt Sunday arvo and i'll try to be a bit more patient.....hopefully be armed with 3 rods loaded as follows:

1. fresh mullet strips - if i can catch a couple in Narrabeen Lakes on Saturday
  2. live poddy mullet......I saw them working Careel Bay flats last week and I've got pretty good at catching these guys
  3. and live nippers

Lots of berley......i put a tuna oil soaked sponge in a berley cage and drop it 45 feet.

High tide at 8pm, and a light easterly predicted. Gotta be in it to win it!

Stokes point is certainly worth a go. I find it fishes best at the top of the tide as well. Have a look at deep creek in narra lakes for mullet (loads and loads of them) and perfect size for cut baits. A live mullet should work for flatties but i find live yakkas outfish mullet at stokes pt. They are easy to get at west head with a little burley. I have hooked a good jew (and lost it at the boat) at stokes point. Have your baits spread out at stokes though. I find the nippers/prawns need to be cast in closer to shore and the others staggered going outwards from the point. You should hook a few salmon and maybe a king on dusk if your lucky. Burley every now and then if the bite is slow.

Cheers, Tom

Funny you read my mind. Ducked into Deep Creek 6pm last night and had 3 mullet 25-30cm within 30 mins snap frozen ready for Sunday - better fresh but won't have time.

Cruising past in the murky water was the shaddowy figure of a bream that I reckon may have been 45cm+. Looked more like a small GT in size. Been catching good bream, taylor and flathead at Stokes for 20+ years......never added a king or jewie there so here's hoping.

Funny you read my mind. Ducked into Deep Creek 6pm last night and had 3 mullet 25-30cm within 30 mins snap frozen ready for Sunday - better fresh but won't have time.

Cruising past in the murky water was the shaddowy figure of a bream that I reckon may have been 45cm+. Looked more like a small GT in size. Been catching good bream, taylor and flathead at Stokes for 20+ years......never added a king or jewie there so here's hoping.

I actually find it fishes best during autumn to winter with summer being a bit slow. Spring should still be fine so good luck when you hit it! There are some very nice bream in that creek. Biggestr i have caught there was 36cm last year but i've seen a few around 45 as well and been totally blown away on 4lb a few times. Someone i was talking to suggested it could have been a mangrove jack as he has caught one in there. While it is extremely unlikely it was in the middle of january so anything is possible.. Some nice EP's too...

Hey Josamill,

Do you fish from the shore at deep creek or are you in a kayak?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shore and kayak are fine mate. Walk 50-100m upstream of the bridge and chuck some bread out. Fish your standard mullet float rig amonst it and you'll catch plenty! Some big mullet fall to this technique as well so be ready for a good fight!

shore based is fine......the creek is shallow and only 15-20m wide. One hassle I had is a dozen or so ducks who respond to the berley, no matter how discrete you are, and threaten to get fouled in your line. Still, managed 3 mullet and a 20cm bream in quick time.