Venice Beach CA

DrownNprawns

Hi Raiders just had my first trip to the USA. I was out at Venice Beach with time to waste so I hung around the ppl fishing off the pier, when one of the rods starts peeling out line reel fast, after a long tug of war with a big fish with the fish nearly pulling young fisherman over the edge a few times, btw the pier is about twenty feet or so from the water, by this time all other lines are pulled out and moved away from the railing so the fight could be won or lost with no interferance, when the fish finally came to the surface we found it to be a great white shark of about 2 meters long. so the gaff (3 pronged with a long rope attached) at hand was dropped to the floor and pic's taken and then the line was cut and the shark was gone in a flash.

Meanwhile about 100 meters in to shore all the swimmers and surfers played in the murky water.

Hi Raiders just had my first trip to the USA. I was out at Venice Beach with time to waste so I hung around the ppl fishing off the pier, when one of the rods starts peeling out line reel fast, after a long tug of war with a big fish with the fish nearly pulling young fisherman over the edge a few times, btw the pier is about twenty feet or so from the water, by this time all other lines are pulled out and moved away from the railing so the fight could be won or lost with no interferance, when the fish finally came to the surface we found it to be a great white shark of about 2 meters long. so the gaff (3 pronged with a long rope attached) at hand was dropped to the floor and pic's taken and then the line was cut and the shark was gone in a flash.

Meanwhile about 100 meters in to shore all the swimmers and surfers played in the murky water.

Good story...

What sort of gear was he running?

Exact same thing happened when i was there this time last year. A guy caught a 10' white off that exact pier. He was deliberately targetting them, using large livebaits. Took him half an hour to get in but it was a sight to behold! Another guy pulled in what looked like a king but they call it a yellowtail over there.

the gear didn't look that special, but i left my glasses back at the hotel maybe a 4-5ft rod with average size bait caster on it??? some of the other guys had rod and reel setups that had sticky tape holding them together.

I didn't ask much in the way of questions because i don't speak Spanish :thumbup:

David