Best tides

Gatte

Hi raiders,

Been out for the last few night trying for a Jewie on soft plastics with no luck to report. I'll be at it again tonight and will be heading to woy woy bridge on the central coast. I fished it last night on the top of the tide and got hits from pike on 6 inch lures and tailor on 3 inch minnows.

The tides have a 1.8m variance with the low reported to be 0.1m and the high at 1.9m. Logically this should be ideal for Jews I think? There's bait at the bridge as evident by my findings last night seeing some squid working, bream being caught by a guy near me and even some big long toms on the hunt in the light.

My plan is to try the same bridge at the bottom of the tide, near dusk, and then move to another spot for the run in at 1am which I have caught plenty of fish (perch, bream, tailor, estuary perch) and seen mullet, prawns, eels, rays and even mud crabs hanging about.

Will the water be too low on the run out? And will I be better off focusing on the 1 location?

Still learning the ropes when it comes to jewies so any tips will go a long way to me finally bagging my first.

Gatts

Generally the neap tides are the go for jews. Neap tides are where there is smaller tidal movement. ie: 0.6 - 1.2 or something like that. At night the jews are actively hunting so tides are less important but as previously said, fish the still water for your best shot! I'd be fishing one spot as well. They are hunting at night so it seems logical to keep your bait in one spot for a longer period of time. This gives the hunting jewfish a chance of coming across your bait. Cast to the edges of the lit up areas that you have previously mentioned, where the baitfish gather under the light.

Keep at it and you'll get one sooner or later!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

Thanks again Tom, not sure where I had read it but had hear bigger tides were the go. I'm mainly aiming for Jews on soft plastics as I don't have the right gear for live baits. I will find one sooner or later haha

Tides with bigger movement are better for jews like this weeks massive tides.at one of the spots we fish theres been over 14 jews cought in the last 3 days

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Agree. Thats why people prefer to fish the moon cycles cause the tides are bigger with more movement!

I like the big tides for jew.

It is critical to have more than a meter difference in water movement, i.e say 0.3mtr

low to a 1.3 or above high.

I've found the best are big tides in shallow water at night & deeper holes

on low tide, even in the middle of the day as long it is around a tide change.

My favourite times are the four days leading up to the full moon & the day of & four days

after the new moon.

Sounds good, I'll be at it again tonight without registering a bite yesterday. Wish I knew where the deeper holes were near the bridge and just sit a bait in it. Trial and error I suppose.

Thanks guys

Seems like im out-numbered here in regards to small tides vs big tides. I'd go with the big tides theory as it seems to make sense especially if you fish the slack water. If you ever go up north though, the small tides (neap tides) are the go for jews..... Great advice from grant :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Agreed Tom.

When fishing 7 mtr tides up north the neaps are the go.

I'm just going by my old diaries from when I fished the Harbour hard

for jews some years ago.

Might be the right time of year atm to hit Roseville on dawn & dusk for some jews.

Always some big fish there this time of year. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Agreed Tom.

When fishing 7 mtr tides up north the neaps are the go.

I'm just going by my old diaries from when I fished the Harbour hard

for jews some years ago.

Might be the right time of year atm to hit Roseville on dawn & dusk for some jews.

Always some big fish there this time of year. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

I'll certainly be dusting off the gear then :biggrin2: Might be ambiscious but man i want a 20kg fish this summer!

Haha I'll settle for any Jewie. Yet to see one on the end of the line. Roseville may just well be a go but for me that's a weekend trip as I live and work on the central coast.

Well the good thing about Roseville is that if you come all that way for an allnighter, there are always decent spots available.

I actually have a family friend that lives right near Roseville station so might be able to tee something up there... I've seen the Roseville area mentioned donzens of times. What is it that makes it so special?

Great topic you started there Gatts!

I'm interested to know what characteristics makes Roseville so attractive as well and whether the same principles can be applied to other estuary spots in the harbour system or is it location specific in this regard.

Grant: you should write a book or do a DVD about all of this stuff and I'll be the first person to run out and buy a copy. Thanks so much for regularly taking the time and helping us Raiders out.... much appreciated :thumbup:

Tom: You deserve that 20kg monster fish more than anyone else and I hope it comes your way very soon, thanks also for spending the time and regularly helping us Raiders out :thumbup:

Good luck Gatts and I'll try and have a crack myself not at Roseville but in one of the western harbour bays land based this weekend. High tide of 1.8m at about 1pm tomorrow arvo but a bright sunny day forecasted. Hopefully I will have something to post.

All the best

Ian

Likewise Ian. I'll be around the coast trying a couple of new spots on the tides and dammit I'll find a mulloway somewhere. My money is on me trying to catch something cometely different and landing a Jew unexpectedly...

Maybe I'll try that tactic :)

Edited by Gatts