Surf Set-up - Please Help

GABBA

Good evening all, today me and a mate had a bit of a surf fishing session, while he is quite experienced in surf/beach fishing, this was my third time and as such, my gear is probably not the best. Anyway, I currently have a Penn Spinfisher 950ssm, which is one hell of a reel, but it is sitting on a 10 foot surf rod, which I found out today, was WAY too short.

I would like to keep using the 950ssm but would ask if anyone knows what rod this could be matched up with.

Your help is appreciated.

Al.

They are an industrial reel (I have an 850ssm on my jigging stick which pulled in my 89cm kingy). They are heavy duty with awesome drag capabilities for it's price, it is perhaps a bit of overkill for the beach with its 20kg of drag but in saying that not much will get away from you, especially that big Jew or Gummy. I am curious though why the 10footer is too short, I would have thought it would be fine. When I used to bait fish on the beach I would be normally using a 10 footer also which did well in all but the most aggressive surf. If you do want to go bigger I would suggest going to look at at a couple of 12-15ft'ers with your reel to try it on and feel the balance, that way you can't go wrong.

Luc.

P.S

If you have some, take a few steel spinners and flick them around with a 2-5kg 7ft spin rod with a nice 3000 size reel, flick it into the gutters and drains and hang on. ;) The salmo and the tailor looove the chromies. I use a selection of halco jet chromes, Gillies blue pilly replica with the glow in the dark bottom, and the good old wonder wobbler in chrome. I will almost guarantee you will go home with a smile on your face. :biggrin2:

Thanks for the reply. Im not sure if the 10FT is too short, however as I was casting, I noticed I was not able to get far out enough in the surf. When I tried the other 12.5FT rod I was able to cast significantly better. Does this make any sort of sense?

Thanks for the reply. Im not sure if the 10FT is too short, however as I was casting, I noticed I was not able to get far out enough in the surf. When I tried the other 12.5FT rod I was able to cast significantly better. Does this make any sort of sense?

Yes mate it does make sence. You can pick yourself up a half decent 12 footer for just over $100 and it will serve you well, your choices would include something from the silstar or penn power tip range, or if you prefer glas, like in a 7 wrap, there are imported products for around the same price.

Fishingphase

A heavier action rod will throw heavier baits further. I have a heavy action 13' rod I use for beach fishing and it is particularly good for throwing 60-80 gram lures a very long way. If you want to improve your casting distance there are other things you can try. I usually make a double using a spider hitch of about 1 1/2 rod lengths then attach a shock leader of 40lb mono again about 1 1/2 rod lengths. this allows me to throw big heavy lures and baits with 12lb line. I can throw an 80 gram halco all day well over 100 metres with this set up. When the gutters are quiet I can put on a heavy sinker and usually get a cast beyond the surf break which has helped catch some big fish over the years.

As long as the shock leader wraps around the reel 4 or 5 times when ready to cast you can really load up the rod when you let go. If the knots get clunky through the runners you can always wrap them in some waxed dental floss to smooth them out.

Don't be frightened of using light line, on the beach there is no reason you can't land a 50lb jew on 8lb line, just as long as trace material is up to the task. One night at Merewether Beach in newcastle I landed an approx 60kg whaler on 8lb after 1 hour 40 minutes, the gang hooks were in the corner of his mouth and the 50lb mono shock leader held up to the abrasion well.

Hi. Thanks to both of you for the advice. As I said before I am using a Penn Spinfisher 950 which I am happy with and am looking for a rod to suit. After reading the posts above I now know I am looking for a rod in the 5-9kg range, 12-13 foot. Does this sound accurate?

I did a very small amount of reading on the Penn Power Stick 12ft rod, this sounds like something I might be after. Does anyone know if these are still available or have they been discontinued or superseded?

Or, if anyone can suggest another type of 12-13ft rod that would suit a Spinfisher 950 for a surf set up it would help.

I'd like to buy one soon so I can give it another go.

On a side note that is what I was trying to do, cast over the breakers.

Ah ok. As this reel is quite large I will be using it for casting out pilchard instead of spinning.

As I am not really educated with all the fishing terms, am I after a 12ft "baitcasting" rod rated 6-10kg?

How does a "baitcasting" rod differ to a "spinning rod" if they are both 12 foot?