To mullet, or not to mullet...

dacosta74

I'm with you Mack Attack, although I've never eaten them.....they just don't look that tempting. Very light rod, reel and line......a number 12 hook with a small ball of doughy bread, on a 6 inch leader below a small clear float. No lead...some berley of bread and water.....the best fun! I chuck them whole straight into the freezer and use them filleted off the beach, or in deeper estuary water butterflied.

...that is the question.

Just had a stroll near the wharf by my work - woolloomooloo. There were quite a few large mullet looking fish.

Are they worth trying to catch/eat?

Mate if they are large, say around 40+cm then they would be almost impossible to catch, when they get big their diet is mainly algae.

Mate if they are large, say around 40+cm then they would be almost impossible to catch, when they get big their diet is mainly algae.

That has been my experience. The smaller the size of the mullet the easier it is getting them to respond to bread burley. But once they're over approx 40cm it's near impossible getting them to take a bait or show any interest.

Unless they're constantly exposed to bread burley on a regular basis, like Ned's beach at Lord Howe Island, they seldom respond.

Mind you there have been several report on this forum of people catching Monster Mullet.