New Beach Rod for Jew

jamesc5562

Hey Guys,

Iv got a bit of a dilemma with choosing a new beach rod for jew. Im looking for a overhead rod that can cast big slab baits and sinkers. So far I reduced my choices to 3:

-shimano tiralejo 12ft

-daiwa sensor surf 11ft4

-wilson 10ft FSU5120

I also want to use the rod as a high speed spinning stick for longtails. So far i leaning towards the daiwa as it has a pistol grip, decent cast weight and slightly shorter to handle the tuna off the rocks

Any suggestions would be good. Thanks!

I use my FSU5120 wilson supergraph O/H for casting(lobbing) live(legal) tailor and massive slab baits and 6oz star sinkers. It is a great rod for this work.

My favorite O/H rod for jew would have to be my 13ft Nitro Messiah. It can still handle reasonable size slabs baits and sinkers, but gives me the ability to send baits into distant gutters when required. It is quite light also, which is appreciated during long nights.

I also own and use, a BBE 10, a Penn Spinfisher 10ft and a 12ft Catana. But i keep opting for the FSU and Nitro.

None of my o/h casting rods have pistol grips, nor do i think they need them.

What reel are you looking at?

I use my FSU5120 wilson supergraph O/H for casting(lobbing) live(legal) tailor and massive slab baits and 6oz star sinkers. It is a great rod for this work.

My favorite O/H rod for jew would have to be my 13ft Nitro Messiah. It can still handle reasonable size slabs baits and sinkers, but gives me the ability to send baits into distant gutters when required. It is quite light also, which is appreciated during long nights.

I also own and use, a BBE 10, a Penn Spinfisher 10ft and a 12ft Catana. But i keep opting for the FSU and Nitro.

Hey mate,

What overhead reel do you use for this type of work?

Cheers,

Hey mate,

What overhead reel do you use for this type of work?

Cheers,

iv got an abu 7000 that ill use off the beach and a daiwa sl50sh for HSS. i did like the look of the FSU and it is relatively inexpensive. However Im not sure that using it for casting 80g metals all day would be too user friendly. Iv just heard people saying the sensor surfs are a bit light lower down and dont have the cojones to throw out a decent size bait?

Edited by jamesc5562

I wouldn't like to be swinging an FSU all day either. I think you will struggle to find a rod to satisfy both needs.... Two rods may be the answer :1prop:

Buy the jew rod now, you still have a few months to save before its tuna time.

predator. I own a 30 slosh for spinning, calcutta 700B, Abu 7000 C3, Abu 10000 and a saltiga surf 30. The saltiga is the stand out. I can't praise it highly enough. I have been using it for three seasons of hard use and it still performs flawlessly. Why oh why did Daiwa stop making them :1prop:

I wouldn't like to be swinging an FSU all day either. I think you will struggle to find a rod to satisfy both needs.... Two rods may be the answer :1prop:

Buy the jew rod now, you still have a few months to save before its tuna time.

predator. I own a 30 slosh for spinning, calcutta 700B, Abu 7000 C3, Abu 10000 and a saltiga surf 30. The saltiga is the stand out. I can't praise it highly enough. I have been using it for three seasons of hard use and it still performs flawlessly. Why oh why did Daiwa stop making them :1prop:

Thanks Dan.

Ive had my eye on the shimano tranx but ill wait for a few more reviews before forking out the $$$.

Cheers

Haha I think two rods might be the go! How is line capacity on the saltiga? they look like awesome pieces of gear, hoping some of the tackle stores discount them!

Also have you got any suggestions for a hss rod, I'm think a custom job is going to be the way to go. Not too many 10ft overhead rods out there to fit the bill