Life in Ulladulla

gemma

Hi, hope you don't mind me entering this non-fishing topic, but I'm interested to find out what living in Ulladulla is like. I searched the web for suitable forums on this subject and could only come up with yours so I'm hoping some of you can answer a few questions. My husband and I, both elderly, are thinking of moving to Ulladulla from Orange, where it's too cold, and are wondering whether Ulladulla is a good place to live. Is there much crime in the town, are there good medical facilities, what is the shopping like and also are there any areas where it's not recommended to settle. We spent a week down there recently and loved what we saw. We are hoping for a long term rental although with an 11 yr old Golden Retriever this may be a bit difficult. Do hope to hear from a few of you in reply to our queries.

In the meantime

Good Fishing

Penny

Haven't lived there but I know a bit about the area. It's a nice location geographically as with most of the south coast. Some of the people let it down a fair bit though. A lot of drugs around Nowra and I think Ulladulla has a problem too along with Wollongong.

As for medical services closest hospital is Milton Ulladulla Hospital, its a primary referral hospital which means it deals primarily with simple stuff. Bit more complex stuff goes to Shoalhaven hospital in Nowra then on to Wollongong or Sydney if its even more complicated.

At least of you're renting you can move to find the right area of town. I wouldn't sign a long term rental agreement anywhere in Illawarra/South Coast without having lived there for a while first. I think it takes at least 3-6 months to see the true colours of a new area.

Spent about 25 years in Ulladulla. I also lived in Orange for 6 months and could not stand the weather there.

In terms of Shopping and Hospitals, Ulladulla is still a small town.

Having said that there is the upsides. For example, the hospital is smallish but you dont tend to wait as long as you may do so in a larger town.

In terms of Crime and Drug issues, Ulladulla's really does not have much of a drug issue. As with most smaller coastal area's there is pot usage but as there is no night clubs or similar the harder drugs are a minority and in 25 years some thing I really have not seen much of in the area. Nowra and Batemans Bay suffers from drug issues. Rental is about what you would expect to pay in Orange, maybe a little less. Any time of the year execpt Summer you can get a park out the front of your favorite shop. In terms of shopping, I tend to only really need to travel out of town for electrical appliances or to go to &&*&*& or similar. Both of which can be had at Batemans Bay (30 mins ) or Nowra ( 50 minutes ).

There really is no bad area of town as such, There is more so a few houses in a street where you would rather no live.

Ulladulla does not have a slum area as such similar to what Orange has behind Sams Warehouse there.

A few towns that i would recommend you dont settle if you look around include:

- Batemans Bay, population seems to be high in riff raff in comparision to Ulladulla, difficult to get around.

- Sanctuary Point, has a few nice parts but is largely similar to Oranges housing commission

- Nowra, Hard to navigate, populated heavily with poor characters

Edited by Cheap Charlie

Hi Penny,

Welcome to the forum, and good on ya for thinking outside the square. I have lived in the Batemans Bay area for the past ten years or so and the majority of that time I was in the Police locally. I wouldn't agree that Ulladulla has a drug/crime problem. It is no better or no worse than any county/rural/coastal area in NSW. I think you could do far worse than living in the Ulladulla/Eurobodalla area. There's just been a new shopping centre built in the main street of Ulladulla, Milton has some beaut shops, cafe's and restaurants and for the most part the people are friendly and welcoming. If you have a particular suburb in mind to live, call in at the Local Police Station and have a chat I'm sure they will set you straight. As for the medical side, GP's are a bit in short supply but the major centres of Sydney and Canberra are not too far away. Take your time and have a good look around, I'm sure you will find a fantastic place to live. All the best on the prospective move....

Dave

My mums lived in sanctury point for bout 10 years now and not one problem lives in a new house not many houseos around the place is gettn a bit posh now but cause its close to huski

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

first post for me woo,

do you have to live in the south coast?

i suggest the central coast (terrigal, bateau bay) or mid-north coast, (forster, old bar)

lived in forster as a pro fisho and worked from ulladulla when the tuna were running down south,

i would live in forster over south coast in a heartbeat, much warmer too...

my 2 cents.

Thanks to all those who posted a reply to my query re living in Ulladulla. The town still appeals to us, more so than Forster, and after we have sorted out a few things up this way we will be giving serious consideration to moving down the south coast. Once again many thanks for your comments.

Penny