how to cast centre pin

jkm1667

Gyday guys and girls

Im very new to blackfishing and would love some tips on casting a centre pin reel, ive had a alvey 475 given to me recently but cant seem to cast to far with it,ive seen some vids on you tube doing the wallis cast but they make it a lot easier than it really is.

Any little tips or advice would be great or even any links.

cheers

john

Hi Mcgoo, it is indeed a "magic art". Not easy to explain, better to show but you need to "load up" the rod by holding the line near the hook and then using a sweeping motion release the line and at the same time feathering the spool so you dont get an over-run. Suggest you practice in the back yard (without the float, just a could of ounces of weight. You usually dont need to cast very far - 3 to 5 m is usually enough. Practice makes perfect! Good luck.

Gyday guys and girls

Im very new to blackfishing and would love some tips on casting a centre pin reel, ive had a alvey 475 given to me recently but cant seem to cast to far with it,ive seen some vids on you tube doing the wallis cast but they make it a lot easier than it really is.

Any little tips or advice would be great or even any links.

cheers

john

I learnt on an old steelite reel and what a rattly thing it was! Next an Avon Royal which I wore out, a couple of unsuccessful attempts with Alveys and now a Shakespeare centrepin which is working a treat.

When casting I bring my rod well behind me and allow the weight of the terminal rig to start unwinding the line just as I begin the cast.

Be sure to use your hand as a brake on the spool when your rig hits the water or you'll get an overrun.

Keep at it.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi

Hi John,

Like a some of the guys have said practise makes perfect. I spent hours in my

backyard learning how to cast a centre pin. I'm not perfect but at least I can

get my float out to where I want it to go. I have a pool in my yard & what I

was using to weight my line was a pre-weighted bobby cork which had a swivel

at the top to tie your line. Then I would practise casting into the pool.

I see your from Mt Druitt, if you are looking for a place to practise where

there is a large pond look at the one at Plumpton Park. I went there a few

times as I only live at Oakhurst to practise on my long range casting.

Cheers

Paul

All good lads the gentleman has taken up the offer of a few lessons from me, I got Paul casting off the spool on Sunday after he learned the Wallis cast Paul has learnt on the Trudex and it is the best reel to learn on at a 4 inch spool with spindle tension control you can fime tune it. McGoo check online shop UK you can usually find a good runner Trudex for less than $70 just make sure she is mechanically sound and runs true don't be too worried about cosmetics thats for collectors not users! Just ask Paul what a learning curve it is an how much more enjoyable it is! You will never use a threadline or sidecast again!

Thanks guys for your input

Paul ive been down the back paddock as im at shalvey near the over head powerlines.

The kids and wife give me heaps teasing me. Theres no fish down there dad.

Luderick-angler has been kind enough to offer his time to give me some pointers.

Regards to all.