the entrance tides

joseph2593

Hi raiders,

Going fishing around entrance bridge late this afternoon and very confused about how delayed the tidal flow is within the lake compared to Sydney. One local told me It's + 1.5 hrs and the other local told me 3+ hrs. Any help will be appreciated

Cheers Joseph

Hi raiders,

Going fishing around entrance bridge late this afternoon and very confused about how delayed the tidal flow is within the lake compared to Sydney. One local told me It's + 1.5 hrs and the other local told me 3+ hrs. Any help will be appreciated

Cheers Joseph

i usually follow by just an hour but not to sure a local mite be able to answer this

Depends on where you are and the state of the entrance channel. Rule of thumb is add 1.5 but it can be flaky depending on the volume of water in the lake. More water means longer run out periods and shorter run in. Once you get past Pelican Island and Terilbah Islands it's more than 2 hrs difference.

at the moment ive found the enrtrance to be complete guess work. last week was going for a fish then prawn, run out was ment to start at 630pm. got there at 1 pm to find it running out. slowed down a little and kind of ran in for mabey an hour at around 7pm then ran out again until we were leave at about 2 am. is a major pain when u have a largish boat trying to get out of ourimbar creek at the moment when u cant find a high tide since its so shallow these days =(

I was living at Bateau and Killarney Vale for 20 years (now down near Brisbane Water) and Tuggerah Lake has always been an enjoyable place to toss a line. I have pulled a lot out of Ourimbah Creek too. Early is best, just before/after sunrise, drifting quietly along the western shore working the edges.

The mouth of the creek is indeed a mess and the last 5 years its silted up even faster. The shallower it gets the more silt can't wash through into the lake itself. I usually kept it on the plane right through the channel and dropping down to idle right at the 4 kt signs. Mind you that is in a 4.2 m boat. Up around 5.5m or above and you're tide limited.