Trim Tab fitup Reef Runner

thylacene

About 6 months ago I bought a set of Lenco 12w x 9d Trim Tabs, and finally lucked the magic combination of weather and available time.

The fitting was relatively straight forward once I worked out where I could fit them. When we first got the boat I fitted a deckwash, bolted to the port transom, which meant that I had to be able to locate the upper bracket without interfering with the pump on the other side of the transom.

photo%2520%25284%2529.JPG

I also had to relocated the transducer, as it sat smack bang in the middle of where the tabs had to go. That meant unclipping and cutting all the zippy ties that hold the wiring loom to get the transducer plug out through the transom.

IMAGE_E39E6EEE-F67C-4D99-AF02-BC8713835BE7.JPG

Initial mark out was done by marking a line 100mm from the chine as a reference point, ideally the edge of the tabs should have been between that mark and 25mm from the chine. After lots of stuffing around, I worked out the edge of the tabs had to be 128mm from the chine.

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

I used a set of wedges on the wobble roller mounts to hold a straight piece of timber up against the bottom of the hull. I used a piece of 10mm thick HDPE on top of the timber to get the correct height as per instructions. Using masking tape, I positioned the tab on the Starboard side to be able to take measurements, then applied those measurements to the Port side until I was comfortable that I had cleared the deckwash pump.

IMAGE_26ADD0E8-FBC3-477F-9875-79DD77ACEB21.JPG

I marked out the holes using the tabs as a template, and drilled the mounting holes. I used a countersink bit on each hole to avoid the gelcoat cracking as the screw went in. While I was about it, I countersunk the previous mounting holes for the transducer and cable. I filled these holes with resin and microbubbles paste, forcing it through the holes, and leaving it slightly indented to finish off with flow coat. I then used some clear plastic with some wax on it as an impromptu mold to fill the indentations with flowcoat, and wet sanded until it was smooth.

photo%2520%25286%2529.JPG

Once the holes were drilled I fitted the starboard tab, with a liberal dose of below water marine adhesive silicone. Using a piece of 19 x 45 pine, I propped the back of the tab to the correct height, and fitted the ram to mark out for the top mount. Drilled the holes and fitted the top mount, running the cable through the transom (all glass in this area), siliconed the top mount and scews.

DSC00378.JPG

Marked out the port side, and ran a 60mm holesaw through the boarding platform, and mounted the ram upside down so that I could mark out the correct diameter, as the hole is not round due to the deadrise angle. I used a flappy disc sanding wheel in a cordless drill to shape the hole, and then a couple of coats of flowcoat over the raw surface.

photo%2520%25286%2529.JPG

I fitted the ram right way up and at this time discovered I had fallen victim to the sin of assumption, thinking the drains out of the bait tanks were symmetrical. As a result I had to fit the port side bracket upside down to clear the deckwash pump. I am confident that it will be fine, just annoyed that I did not pick up on it earlier. It was only a few millimetres the difference, but as I had mounted the tab on the bottom of the transom I was committed.

photo%2520%25287%2529.JPG

DSC00376.JPG

I relocated the transducer using a sliding bracket. Not because I want the adjustment, but to avoid more holes. A 1kw transducer is on the list for the future.

photo%2520%25289%2529.JPG

Will be interested to see how the transducer performs, I could not get it away from the tabs any further, and unless I move it to the centreline, I have thru hull fittings that preclude mounting anywhere else. Hindsight is a marvellous thing.

Fitted the switch to the dash, new zippies on the wiring, ran the transducer cable away from the wiring this time. Hooked it all up and tested both tabs to full extension ensuring sufficient clearance in the cutout in the boarding platform.

Fixed a few stonechips in the hull as I already had resin mixed, and fitted another couple of rod holders in the floor to store rods when towing to the ramp. Also handy to drop the trolling rods in when crew can’t reach the rocket launcher.

Hanging for next weekend to see what difference they make.

Outriggers will be the next project.

Top job , definately should make your ride more comfortable.

How was the clearance of the fold up step near the top of the ram.

Let us know how she performs :thumbup:

Chris.

If you check the piccie of the boarding platform you will see a pice of foam tape, this is where the step sits, cleared it quite nicely. The tabs are 12" wide x 9" long and edge mount, mid mount tabs would have sat a little higher and further out. Made an educated guess when I bought the tabs based on some rough measurements, and initially thought we might have to trim 20mm off the step, but as it turned out they fitted as I had hoped.

Will get it on the water next weekend, so will provide my observations once I have had a chance to run it in varying conditions. Expecting big things from all the banter on the forums. Hoping to achieve a small reduction in minimum planing speed, and a better ride in a quarter sea with a crosswind. We run our clears year round, and with the hardtop, the hull leans into the wind. Tabs should allow the hull to sit up straight allowing for finer entry. SWMBO will be the finall judge, if she is comfortable in ordinary conditions my life is better and we can fish more often ;)

If you check the piccie of the boarding platform you will see a pice of foam tape, this is where the step sits, cleared it quite nicely. The tabs are 12" wide x 9" long and edge mount, mid mount tabs would have sat a little higher and further out. Made an educated guess when I bought the tabs based on some rough measurements, and initially thought we might have to trim 20mm off the step, but as it turned out they fitted as I had hoped.

Will get it on the water next weekend, so will provide my observations once I have had a chance to run it in varying conditions. Expecting big things from all the banter on the forums. Hoping to achieve a small reduction in minimum planing speed, and a better ride in a quarter sea with a crosswind. We run our clears year round, and with the hardtop, the hull leans into the wind. Tabs should allow the hull to sit up straight allowing for finer entry. SWMBO will be the finall judge, if she is comfortable in ordinary conditions my life is better and we can fish more often ;)

Got out this morning 16 k's h ead on/ quarter on to a short period 1m chop, all expectations met, consider them money well spent. Can maintain plane at least two knots slower, correct wind list, and the ride into a head sea is so. Much better.

Cheers

Thy

• 2 years later...