Top Water blackfish

stormy

Had a couple of hours to spare yesterday, so went for a quick fish off the stones in the RNP. Swell was up a bit, but quite safe. This spot only fishes on the run out according to the locals and old timers, but I do quite well on the run in. When one of the old blokes comes over for a chat, he always tells me that you can't get any fish on the run up or high tide. I always point to the closely cropped cabbage on the ledge and ask if the fish grow legs to graze there at low tide, and then point to my bag of fish. Any way it was good to have the rock to myself. Got a couple of tentative downs right away and dropped the first fish. Nothing else for 20 minutes, but then I got hit by one fish on steroids. The take snapped the float underwater and I lifted the rod after 3 seconds, to have the reel spinning under palm pressure. A nice blackfish of 43cm joined me on the rocks. The session wasn't hot by any means, but then a move of only 30m and a shortening of the depth to just 1m, saw the action hot up very quickly. The fish were feeding over a shallow bommie and every bait was hit within 30 or so seconds. Dropped a few and left them biting freely at 11am. Two hours and 8 fish. Kept a couple for myself and gave some to a couple of mates who can't fish. A good, short session in a place that only works on the runout. :) Fish measured between 38cm to 43cm. Rod used is an ATS Salmon/Steelhead blank at 11'6" and JRV centrepin reel with 12lb Dango Wax mainline and 6lb Schneider flourocarbon. (I know Macman will ask).

post-11324-055945500 1355898770_thumb.jpg