how do you get your livies during the day?

koi

Hey all

I'm a land based fisher and usually fish at night, using yakka as live bait. I never have problems catching live bait at night. Once I berley, hundreds of them come. I been fishing during the days now and find it almost impossible to catch live bait during the day. There are very rare days, like once every 2 months, when there are yakka during the day but any other time it's hard. I berley a lot using bread, pillies and some oils but still nothing. Also tried mullet traps with the juice bottles or the opera house net. But it seems there afraid of the traps.

Was wondering how others get there live bait during the day?

During the day smaller fish will look for better cover from predators and try and stay in the shadows. If you are trying to catch yakkas from a wharf, try and fish on the side that has more shadow for them to hide and closer to the pylons and beams. Also keep in mind that a lot of jetties are busier during the day so fish will stay further underneath. Think like a fish, where would you hang out to avoid being eaten by a bigger fish?

During the day smaller fish will look for better cover from predators and try and stay in the shadows. If you are trying to catch yakkas from a wharf, try and fish on the side that has more shadow for them to hide and closer to the pylons and beams. Also keep in mind that a lot of jetties are busier during the day so fish will stay further underneath. Think like a fish, where would you hang out to avoid being eaten by a bigger fish?

thanks for that ! When I think about it, all those times I was trying to catch livies were very bright sunny days !

Good question.

I usually catch them in the morning just before sun up and use them through the morning/day. I've never had much luck past 7am except 1 location up the nth coast. So i'm a bit stumped too. I guess your/our options are limited as we are land based.

If I have wanted to use them later in the day what I have done is caught them in the morning and used an aerator to keep them alive. I also collect a couple of buckets of water to change the water every so often.

Just went for a fish today around northern beaches area. Looked around boardwalks and shadow areas. Burley for about 30mins, sometimes longer and nothing. Guess you have to be at the right place at the right time ?!

I was thinking of heading to roseville. I should of went.