Anyone else struggling with squid in the Hacking?

filthmonger

Hey Mate,

Yeah I'm having the same problems at the same spots funnily enough over the last couple of weeks.

Have tried a selection of lures and various techniques and keep coming up with donuts.

Will keep persisting and see how I go.

Cheers

Choicebro

Had some luck a couple of weeks ago in some spots further up the Hacking.

Fished over the weed around the point where Rathane is, and then up towards Carruther's Bay. SAW a lot of nice sized squid, but didn't get too many enquiries on the lure. Managed a couple of nice ones in the end.

Had a bit more luck fishing Little Turriel Bay. I got in amongst where the boats are moored in the deeper water and then cast back towards the shore where the big beds of weed are. Got some nice squid there, and saw a monster who shot up after the jig but wouldn't touch it. This was before the rain and the water was crystal clear, the squid obviously pooh-poohed my super cheap jigs.

I had a theory about using bigger squid jigs later on in the season. Well as it turned out I was completely wrong!!!!! A couple of weeks back we fished the Hacking and the very small jigs caught the squid. Bigger jigs (2.2-3.5g) got them excited but they were too small and timid to take them. Once i put on a small jig I got one within 5 seconds.

After much soul searching I found a document, mind you it was for Phillip Bay where there was identified two separate spawing seasons for squid, one in August and the other in December. So there were a number of much smaller squid that had only recently spawned if you follow the logic of the document.

Anyway the moral to the story is

1. somteimes a very small jig will make the difference.

2. when I have a theory on catching fish or squid or anything in the water it needs to be disregarded quickly by the wider audience.

Got onto a few today. Persistance is paying off

Still trying to refine my technique, have found that I tend to rush the retrieve and need to slow myself down a bit.

All in all, still learning and coming home with a feed today is a great bonus :biggrinthumb:

Back to work tomorrow, dammit :thumbdown:

Cheers

Choicebro

Got a couple of bait size when I first saw you at Salmon, went to Jibbon and got 2 good sized about 35cm ish.

Had a flick back at Salmon for nothing on the way home. It was all about getting a feed today.

Using a mix of yamashita naturals in silver and neo's in rainbow 2.5's

Just finished dinner of salt n pepper squid and soba noodle salad.

I like your setup, am looking at making a live bait tank but can't decide on wether to make a portable or an inbuilt one.

Also, is that a down-rigger on the starboard rear clamped to the rail?

Cheers

Choicebro

My bait tank is just a 25L drum from bunnings hooked up to a bilge pump that i mounted on the transom. Eventually gonna upgrade to a 2 compartment deal so i can have yakkas and squid at the same time. The downrigger is just half an old beach rod with an alvey reel and 100 pound mono. Not very user friendly but works a treat.

Cool, thanks mate. I will have to look into both as I'm still trying to develop the right setup to suit me.

Can you post or PM me a pic of the downrigger, I'm keen to make one since the prices of them are a bit scary.

I also am not keen to drill holes on the gunnel so a clamp on job would suit me better.

Cheers

Choicebro