how would the fish eat your live bait ?

koi

Was wondering if anyone knows how most fish eat or attack there live bait.

For example mulloway, kingfish, flathead ,salmons

Do most eat it whole ?

I'm fishing right now and had 5 livies out. Drag went off and most live bait comes back wIth just the tail.

Does it also depend on what kind of bait. ?

Yeah I had a similar thing happen the other night. Had a couple of big yakkas smashed in half. Assumed they were big tailor. Jewies will always take a livie down head first. So rig through the nose or in the shoulders of the fish. Flatties i have found they'll hit livebaits both head first and tail first. Kings and salmon are normally head first too.

Cheers, Tom

Flathead and salmon don't give a shit, they are aggressive feeders on yakka. Everytime I catch a flatty or salmon on yakka, its always half way into their stomach, sometimes tail down and sometimes head down. There aren't very many fish that will clean cut a yakka in half though. You're getting smashed by tailor, they just chop where ever they like, and if they're in schools, they go nuts. A kingfish can often send back a yakka nearly unharmed. Jewfish kind of crush the fish, break its face and what not. Salmon, Ive had salmon spit things out undamaged but other times also crushed and damaged.

How are you rigging them up?

I caught a tailor probably 15cm in length and me being curious, I put my finger in its mouth. He bit nice and hard and definitely left me some little holes.

Edited by SargeRX8

I was putting hook through the back closer to the tail on a running rig. I tried hooking them through the head after mulloway man suggesting it but unfortunately went really quiet after that. The yakka I was using were around 15cm They were just getting destroyed but without the hook on. Was getting frustrated.

School jew I'd say.

I've had the same happen on either side of the hook

& then I swapped to a circle in the nose & a stinger just

behind the anal fin.

Bagged out next 2 baits on 4-6kg jew & went home.

If I was towing a livie in the yak the stinger was on the top

of the tail, or swinging free.

People don't think that a jew can do that to a bait but they can.

Only up to a certain size & when they are in a certain mood though,

usually when they hit a bait at speed.

Stick a circle through the nose next time mate. B)

Cheers,

Grant.

Yeah everyone so far has said big tailor but given it was prime dusk high tide (hit on high) a Jew was back of my mind. It was a fair yakka close to 30cm too! That's a few good Jew I've missed lately. When I tried rigging them through the nose the yakkas died pretty quick...

Cheers, Tom

Guest mike2153

Whats the easiest way to hook a lie yakka on with a single hook or what sort of set-up is good for all round fish ie flathead, salmon, king, jew? And how do you not kill the yakka?

mate i pin one hook through the nose i usually use a heavy gauge live bait hook such as a mustard hoodlum as i usually need a big cast in the spots i fish so this stops the hook pulling through on the cast, then i have my second hook 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the fish just bellow the dorsal fin barely in the flesh this hook i use a octopus style hook for the thinner gauge.