Moruya Heads 4 March

Benzeenees

Our last expedition was 12 December. So we were well and truly ready for a day (or 3) on the water. JC (no, not that one) and I left Mossy Point about 6.30am and collected a tankfull of yakkas at Broulee Island.

Things were fairly quiet but we worked hard and picked up 2 decent tigers, a smallish snapper and 3 kings. Two of the kings were just legal - 66cm and 67cm. The other was a bit better at 72cm. The two small ones behaved quite unusually - at least we thought they did. After feeling the hook they swam straight up from 35m without a fight. In fact when I caught the first one I thought it might be a bonito. Close to the boat they made 3 or 4 hard runs before we got them into the net.

Is this typical of smallish kings?

All of the fish we have caught up to now have been in the 70cm - 95cm range and fought hard from the word go.

The water temperature was between 21.5C and 22.5C. Conditions were perfect - a low swell and just enough breeze to keep us moving on the drift. Forecast is looking good for tomorrow, but Wednesday is starting to look a bit breezy.

Edited by Benzeenees

It makes landing them easier - especially in deep water. Keeps them away from the reefs. But the bigger guys always seem to go hard right from the beginning. Didn't go out today - a 15kt NE breeze was predicted. So we stayed in bed, then came home. Conditions were perfect and the breeze didn't pick up til about 12.30. So we could have gone - but it would have been a slow trip back.

I'll smoke some kingfish tomorrow.

Edited by Benzeenees