Leaping Bonito

aidanhoh

After 2 days of studying and with 2 days of workshops ahead, decided last minute that I had to get out for a quick spin this morning. Ended up on one the rocky points in Manly Harbour with my ever versatileShimano Catana Light and old Daiwa PR1600H outfit. A few casts in, a school of baitfish started jumping out of the water in front of me, and at that moment the little Waxwing I was retrieving got smashed by a little Watsons Leaping Bonito. Tried to put up a fight, and had its mate encouraging it all the way in, but didn't stand a chance on 8lb line. Continued casting the little Waxwing and did get another hit but no hook up this time, and unfortunately that was all the action for the short session. Good sign though that the water is clearing and warming up again with Leaping Bonito in the harbour.

post-19022-0-46147500-1363145185_thumb.jpg

I was using the 58mm (12g) version in silver. Have tried the larger ones but haven't had any success on them. The smaller ones seem to be working at the moment though, probably because they match the little baitfish schooling around the harbour.

They are expensive vs the usual metals that you chuck around the rocks, but they make a good change, as they cast almost as well, don't require an all out retrieve, and swim just under the surface where most of the action takes place. The last point also means they are unlikely to snag, as you don't need to let them sink before beginning the retrieve and they skim over the snags as you get close to shore, especially with double hooks rather than trebles. Only one I've lost is from the leader breaking due to a wind knot on a cast.

Those waxwings are deadly, I've caught so many fish on those lures it's shameful. They out fish any other lure in my tackle box 2 fish to 1 easily. I've caught whiting, flathead, bonito, tailor, kings, frigates, bream, bass and ep's on them in different sizes they're just a quality lure

Nice fish; never managed to hook one myself.

Must admit I'm also a big fan of the waxwing. A mate bought one out when we went to longie a year ago and smashed king after king while my sp didn't even get looked at! Got 4 in my box now of various sizes and colours. Love em on kings, salmon and trolled up a few big tailor on them around dobroyd headland.

Edited by Fish-On

Nice fish mate. Well done. Leaping Bonito is one of best fish for Sashimi - but they don't stay fresh too long. Better to bleed and take the gut then ice it right away, and have sashimi within 5-6 hours time. I hope I can catch one or two this season too. Cheers,