Spit Bridge last night Friday 15th

Guest mike2153

Guest mike2153

Hi guys I went to Narrabeen beach yesterday but seeing as I could only cast the beach rod about 20 metres for whatever reason I cant find out. is 40lb braid way to thick to be casting long distances? I packed it up and went under the Spit bridge.

I was standing to the left of the bridge on the north side and casted out the beach rod with a ganged squid, and threw out squid strips with the light outfit.

I got hammered by little snapper, no hook ups just pecked at the bait till it was gone.

And that's really the story of the night not a single hook up not even close to a hook up which was really disappointing.

Im really getting annoyed with not catching anything lately. I might head to middle harbour with the kayak on sunday but don't know what to aim for? I want to try and catch some yakkas then troll them around, but seeing as I don't have a sounder I don't know where to troll them? Anyone suggestions?

Guest mike2153

where abuts are the channel marking? do bonito love the live bait to? any sort of rig I should be using for trolling around.

Guest mike2153

I was thinking around the spit bridge and west of it, I was thinking of launching the yak at Cammeray and working my way to the Spit. any spots around there to get yakkas in particular? I was thinking just bread and cans of tuna as burley then a sabiki rig with little bits of squid. Can you get a cheap sounder at all?

If you're on the north side try clontarf beach, east of swimming enclosure. The deep water is too far from shore at the north side of the bridge. Alot of snaggy rocks up there too.

Re casting at narrabeen... into an onshore is always hard work. You might upsize the sinker and down size the bait to get better distance. Also, find a good rip where the current will take the bait out and where the fish are anyway.