New Penn Spin Fisher - feedback?

PRED-ATOR

Anyone had experience with the new Penn Spin Fisher.

I am planning on getting 2 spools, one with 20-30lb mono and one with 30lb braid.

Will be used for fishing high rock ledges and casting heavy baits and large lures to be retrieves at moderate - slow speeds.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers, Predator

Don't have any experience with the reel myself but have been following reviews of the new Penn Spinfisher V as I am a big fan of the SS series and still have an 850SS.

This is probably the most comprehensive and unbiased review you'll find about it anywhere and worth reading, especially if you want to know the limitations of the reel.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/spf.html

• 1 month later...

Did you end up getting one mate?

Im thinking about getting a 4500-5500 to use with 15lb line and a 5-9kg 10'6-12' rod for drummer.

They sound like a a great option for rock and beach fishing.

Hi Mate, yep got the 4500, matched to a penn prevail 10-15kg 14" and 30lb mono.

its a beast. i went to heavy becuase alot of the high rock ledges i fish, have hanging ledges below, as the rod bends, the line rubs so i wanted a stiff long rod....so to speak lol.

i will buy another spool and spool it up with 20lb to get longer casts. its a good reel. undoing the handle screw is a pain though, i had to use pliers its so tight.

the new slammer drag is smooth and response and the handle is comfortable.

I will add though, the reel is heavy.

Hi Mate, yep got the 4500, matched to a penn prevail 10-15kg 14" and 30lb mono.

its a beast. i went to heavy becuase alot of the high rock ledges i fish, have hanging ledges below, as the rod bends, the line rubs so i wanted a stiff long rod....so to speak lol.

i will buy another spool and spool it up with 20lb to get longer casts. its a good reel. undoing the handle screw is a pain though, i had to use pliers its so tight.

the new slammer drag is smooth and response and the handle is comfortable.

I will add though, the reel is heavy.

Thanks for the feedback mate, I know the new spinfisher is probably the heaviest reel for the size out there, but I'm going with this particular because on paper it seems to be the closest thing you could get to fishing with an alvey in terms of durability and value for money. I'm fishing with a 6000bcvrrt which weighs in at 712g where as the 4500SSV is around 400g.

I wasn't a big fan of the penn prevail 5-9kg so I'm going to get a Lox Iridium surf 10628 6-10kg.

So to save weight i'm going from a 6"Alvey reel and 600 Alvey Estuary/Surf rod to a Lox and a spinfisher. It might not be the lightest possible, but it should be the best in terms of durability and value for money.