Spinning from the rocks

aidanhoh

Had another successful short spin session at my local rock ledge this morning.

On sunrise, was working a large jet popper for kings which a bonnie took a liking to. After quickly landing him, switched to a metal baitfish imitation to see if I could score a few more.

As the metal made its way back a second time, it got smashed by something that was obviously bigger. Thought it might have been a really big bonnie or rat king but after a 5 minute tussle, washed up my first ever mack tuna (pictured)! Didn't want to keep him so only took a couple of quick snaps on the phone before release.

Resharpened the hooks and resumed pinging out the metal towards the horizon. A couple of casts later, it got smashed again but another mack tuna which could have been its twin, which was also quickly released.

Unfortunately, let the little metal lure sink a bit too long and lost it to a snag. Switched to my favourite lure, a Sebile Stick Shad, which promptly resulted in another average bonnie. Gotta love the Stick Shad, casts well, gives you a rest from cranking flat out with thr metals, and has caught me just about every pelagic that swims in Sydney - kingies, bonnies, salmon and tailor.

Calmed down after that, at about 7.30, and after another 45mins, called it a day.

Great spinning from the stones at the moment. Water's warm and plenty of surface action. Saw numerous schools of fish working bait all around the headland and along the beach. Hopefully conditions will allow another dawn session next weekend.

Aidan

post-19022-0-86355900-1365308777_thumb.jpg

Had another successful short spin session at my local rock ledge this morning.

On sunrise, was working a large jet popper for kings which a bonnie took a liking to. After quickly landing him, switched to a metal baitfish imitation to see if I could score a few more.

As the metal made its way back a second time, it got smashed by something that was obviously bigger. Thought it might have been a really big bonnie or rat king but after a 5 minute tussle, washed up my first ever mack tuna (pictured)! Didn't want to keep him so only took a couple of quick snaps on the phone before release.

Resharpened the hooks and resumed pinging out the metal towards the horizon. A couple of casts later, it got smashed again but another mack tuna which could have been its twin, which was also quickly released.

Unfortunately, let the little metal lure sink a bit too long and lost it to a snag. Switched to my favourite lure, a Sebile Stick Shad, which promptly resulted in another average bonnie. Gotta love the Stick Shad, casts well, gives you a rest from cranking flat out with thr metals, and has caught me just about every pelagic that swims in Sydney - kingies, bonnies, salmon and tailor.

Calmed down after that, at about 7.30, and after another 45mins, called it a day.

Great spinning from the stones at the moment. Water's warm and plenty of surface action. Saw numerous schools of fish working bait all around the headland and along the beach. Hopefully conditions will allow another dawn session next weekend.

Aidan

Looks like you had a great morning. Shame about no kings. I have heard from friends of frigates and the odd bonito still around off the ledges. Which area is Sydney u fishing?

I'd be happy with that for a quick session.

What size shad were you using? and what set up?

I do a bit of spinning but with some lighter gear - 4-6kg 7 foot rod & 10lb braid. I've been looking to up the ante. I'm thinking a 9 ft graphite rod, 6-8kg that can handle lure weight approx. 60gm. Something like the Jewel.

Kooks,

Using a Sebile 114mm suspending Stick Shadd.

As for outfit, a 10 1/2 ft 20-30lb outfit with a 6000 sized reel and 30lb braid. This is my heavy outfit for kings, although probably not heavy enough for the real monsters.

I also run a lighter 12-20lb outfit which is a rod of 9 1/2 ft and a 5000 sized reel.

9ft should be okay for most ledges and certain 6-8kg would be enough for most of the fish you'll likely encounter except for the aforementioned big kings. Not sure though the Jewel will cast 60g very well though. My brother has one and he can cast comfortably up to about 45g but from there it struggles a bit. But then, majority of lures I use are up to 45g except for the larger poppers so should handle most of lures for high speed spinning.

Aidan

Aidan