Woolich Blackfishing

Ron Howes

Had an RDO on Friday and checked out Little Bay Malabar and the back of the Coast Golf course blackfishing spots. At little bay I found a heap of beautiful green weed. I filled half a bucket and thought this should last me a fortnight if I ease up with the burley. I set the alarm for 5am saturday morning and I was fishing at Woolich at 6 am . The first drift was just as light started hitting over horizon onto water. I poured in three large handfulls of burley around my float and the next thing I saw was my float rocketing under, This fish was big , I played him for 5 minutes and just about had him beat when another fisherman Mark Lui appeared beside me with a three quarter long handled net. This chap had six attempts to land this fish which kept diving when the net was placed in its proximity. The fish finally threw the hook, however I had five minutes of an adrenalin rush. The chap was very apologetic but I was not upset because I'd had the fun. For the next hour I landed 3 more from about 34-36 cms, The fish seemed to be travellers and weren't hanging around even with plenty of burley. For six hours fishing i ended up with 6 in the swimmer and I dropped 4. Had a great day

Howsy