Northern Beaches Rock Hopping

aidanhoh

A slightly delayed report. Managed to hit the local ledges on the Northern Beaches on Sunday and Monday.

Sunday morning saw me again casting at the horizon for pelagics. Quieter than in recent weeks but still some surface activity with a school of pilchard sized baitfish taking flight every now and then trying to evade some unseen predator. Managed to hook 2 bonnies, one of which managed to shake the hooks, whilst the other ended up as sashimi.

Yesterday hit the rocks again, this time loaded with about 6 loaves of stale/mouldy bread that had been taking up most of the limited real estate in my freezer. Made burley with about 5 of those loaves, keeping one for bait. Burleyed aggressively to try and get the fish going but only managed to catch kelpies and undersized drummer. After about 2 hours, was down to my last couple of slices of bait. Rerigged about the 5th time after the most recent snag and chucked out the ball of bread that was moulded onto a size 2 baitholder hook. As the bait drifted down the water column to the bottom, the line suddenly sprung tight which started a 5 minute tug of war with the biggest drummer I've ever caught. The landing was certainly touch and go as I was using light gear (Shimano Catana Coastline Light, 8lb Fireline, 14lb trace), but after about 5 attempts, managed to wash the fish up. Measured 45cm and very fat. Didn't weight it but I would guestimate at least 2kg. I would also add that the pan fried fillets from it I had for dinner tonight was up there with the best fish I've ever eaten. Was like blue eye trevella in texture and taste. I'll definitely be chasing these bad boys over the winter!

All the best.

Aidan

post-19022-0-00071800-1366106987_thumb.jpg

post-19022-0-22756700-1366107086_thumb.jpg