towing with a hyundai ix35 diesel

Benzeenees

Does anyone use a diesel ix35 to tow their boat? My boat + trailer is about 1100kg. The trailer is braked.

On paper the ix35 should handle it - rated at 1600kg with heaps of torque and AWD. My friend's 1400cc turbo Holden Cruze handles the boat OK as long as the ramp is not steep or sandy or slippery. Ditto my BA Falcon. Looking to change cars in case I want to use some of the not so good ramps. Also considering the diesel Mitsubishi Outlander.

I'd love to hear from someone with firsthand experience.

Thanks for the response. Are you talking from experience? I'm sure it will tow it. I'm more concerned about sandy or slimy boat ramps. The ix35 is an AWD so it should be fine, but I would hate to get rid of my old Falcon, which isn't worth much but is in great condition, and then find I still have problems on slippery or sandy ramps.

Edited by Benzeenees

No, not specifically. But I don't need to have to know that they will handle the job. With the weight of the IX35 and the fact that its able to put power through al wheels means its handle pulling 1100 kg on any ramp. Get an automatic and you'd be sure of it.

I suspect you're right, but I'd still be interested in firsthand experience. At the moment I'm inclining towards the diesel outlander. 4wd, 2.2l diesel. A little bit less torque and power than the ix35. Fuel economy is better.

Unfortunately there no used ones so have to buy new. Lots of good ix35s second hand, with towbar for about $6000 less than a new Outlander.

hmmm you can easily check the car stats online , wont really matter what your car can tow its the towbar itself . specs sat can tow 1600 braked or 750

id say the standard tow bar would only be rated to 750kg ,enough nm"s . hmm ya might find its really semi - awd actually only part time with power going to fronts during normal driving unlike a subaru 50/50where its all wheel drive (thats all they make) :biggrinthumb: or quattro (audi) 40/60 systems. you will plenty of moving around with that kerb weight .but with a hd bar do it pretty easy if anything might need better than oem tyres .worth it @ ramps low tide

Sadly the automatic (I'm old and lazy) is only rated at 1300kg. And that's too close to the weight of my boat + trailer esp. with a full tank of fuel. The new diesel Mitsubishi Outlander is rated at 1800kg and is 4wd, but there are no 2nd hand ones yet and I'm also stingy. You lose too much on a new car. Maybe I'll just live with the falcon for another year.

Edited by Benzeenees

And the outlander is like the xtrail, Santa Fe, IX35 and pretty much all the soft roaders. They're not true four wheel drives, they're a front wheel drive with rear assist. Basically the majority of power and torque always go through the front wheels. For off road work it matters, but for what you want to do that system would be a big step up from rear wheel drive only.