boat battery connections

Benzeenees

I've always had problems with my sounder restarting when I start the motor on my topender. This happened occasionally when I had a Lowrance LMS 480, but became much worse when I upgraded to an HDS5. The HDS5 takes so long to start up so it was a real nuisance. I decided to replace the battery in case it was getting weak after 5 years. The new battery is much bigger, but I still had to put the HDS on standby before starting the motor. And then it began playing up even on standby.

So I resoldered all the connections between the HDS and the boat electrics and gave the HDS power plug a thorough clean. Improved briefly. Mentioned it at the place where I bought the new battery last October as the battery had been flat when I bought it. So I was a little worried about the battery. The guy at the shop had a look at the battery and pointed out a little corrosion on the terminal. Not much but I thought I'd give the terminals a clean. The negative cable almost fell out of the lug! It hadn't been crimped down thoroughly! I'm surprised the boat was even starting. Down to an auto parts place and bought a car type connector that clamps to the cable.

All appears to be fixed. The HDS doesn't even blink when I start the motor. I continue to be surprised at the (relatively) minor things that aren't right on this boat that I bought new.

Thought I'd better check the other lug. I removed the shrink on insulation and found it was crimped perfectly but the wire was full of corrosion. Not a manufacturer problem - just confirmed the need for maintenance in a boat exposed to lots of salt water. I cut off the corroded wire and replaced the lug with a car-type connector. Lots of insulating tape and a liberal layer of petroleum jelly to try to keep the water out. The battery is in a battery box, but it still gets exposed to salt water.

• 2 weeks later...

there is a self fusing electrical tape available that when you wrap it tightly around the join it bonds to itself and creates a much better seal than plan electrical tape, might be worth trying that as it doesn't wear off like vaso