To set or not to set?

Sherwinator

Hey Raiders,

Love reading all your posts...

Was all set to go off the beach last night for some secret silver but the surf was pretty crazy so I decided to try one of my Jewwie spots inside the harbour (still trying to break the 1m mark like SMn :D). I have been fishing for some fresh squid all week with nothing to show for it :( The squid seem to be rare as rocking horse poo at the moment.

Anyway I had some good quality frozen squid from the shop, so I thought I would have a crack (the conditions were great last night).

Got to my spot and sent my first squid out whole (snelled rig with size 4 Gamakatsu octopus hooks). Started to unpack the rest of my gear and my Saros 4000 starts singing that song that we all love to hear zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

I hadn't even been there 5 mins :1clap:

The fish had hooked itself and after a few short runs, I had a 59cm model. Not a monster but a sight for sore eyes. It was hooked on the bottom hook (which was the squid head end).

Over the next hour I got another 3 big hits and managed to miss them all! The fish would run zzzzzzzzzzzzz but every time I tried to set the hooks I lost the fish. So I tried winding the drag right back and this time let it do a massive run (3 -4 seconds) and then thumbed the spool and went to set the hooks, but lost this one also! :ranting2:

So I wanted to ask you guys, what techniques do you use to set the hooks when targeting Jewwies? Let them run? Strike straight away?

Catch details:

-----------------

1 hour and 15 minutes before high tide.

Very little wind.

Barometer 1030.

Moon 83% Full (Waxing)

-----------------

Sherwinator

post-7855-0-60743400-1369788768_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sherwinator

G'day mate,

Don't be shy on using circle hooks for these silver beasts.

Stick the rod in the rod holder and set the drag at fighting weight.

The fish will take the bait and circle should do the job and hook itself.

I use circles for Jews & Snapper offshore a lot of the time. Especially when fishing a berley trail.

Butch

Depending on how loose you've got your drag set its probably not a jew taking your bait. Theres alot of other fish there. Ive had this happen when fishing for jew, run run run, pull nothing. Run run run pull, hooked a bream in the side of its face. Run run run nothing and so on. There are lots of bream more than capable of pulling your drag when fishing for jew. Its not always a jew and what you're doing is right.

The first fish you caught hooked it self.

Edited by SargeRX8

G'day mate,

Don't be shy on using circle hooks for these silver beasts.

Stick the rod in the rod holder and set the drag at fighting weight.

The fish will take the bait and circle should do the job and hook itself.

I use circles for Jews & Snapper offshore a lot of the time. Especially when fishing a berley trail.

Butch

Yeah +1 on that comment. I do the same and dont miss to many hits, plus once you get to the rod the fish is already hooked so at least you don't stand there wondering do I or don't I strike.

Rich

Hi mate,

Nice fish! They are the best looking fish you can catch I reckon!

From my limited experience as SargeRX8 says your doing everything right and the spot seems like a winner...

I was using 4/0's as well to start but swapped to 6/0's after receiving advice from posts here. My thinking the bigger hook might have more clearence from the bait giving a better chance of hook up (maybe? Hahaha). I also had a 2/0 stinger which sits just above the tenticles...

I usually only take 1 rod with me and 2 reels, so I always hold my rod, especially when I'm using the Alvey 650a5 which has no drag. I'm going to start using 2 rods one in a rod holder and holding one. The one in the holder will definately have a gama circle hook 6/0 and probably a 3/0 with the drag setup (Alvey 651c5) as Butch said.

Many long cold nights ahead I think to crack the 1m mark... Good luck with it mate! I hope you're posting your 1m + mulloway soon!

how do you propose this jewfish was holding your bait while moving away?

pushing it with his nose,

holding it in his hand?

no it was in its mouth

set the drag. and try 7/0s and always. . .always have a big bait in the water.

how do you propose this jewfish was holding your bait while moving away?

pushing it with his nose,

holding it in his hand?

no it was in its mouth

set the drag. and try 7/0s and always. . .always have a big bait in the water.

This is what I say to people alot. Theyre like let it run let it run. its in a fishes mouth. Strike and strike hard. People also don't realise its not always a jewfish. Ive been jewfishing many times and people see a tiny tap on their rod and start yelling jewfish jewfish. Im like relax theres about 10 other kinds of fish it could be. When a jewfish takes a big bait you'll know about it.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Some good info in there.

Sounds like I could try some slightly bigger circle hooks and keep the drag at a respectable ratio.

The consensus seems to be let them hook themselves!

I might even try this strategy tonight ;)

Sherwinator