Hervey Bay & Noosa

alluring

I'm off to spend a week in early July up between noosa and Hervey Bay. Going to be bringing my gear up with me and want to get a bit of fishing done while I'm there. I mainly target pelagics with lures, just wondering what's on the bite this time of year?? And any decent rockfishing spots to check out? I'll definitely be hitting that big pier up at hervey while I'm in the area too, and trying to convince my old man to come out on a charter with me :-)

As for gear, my rod's only rated up to 15kg, but thinking of getting something stronger while I'm up there. Alternatively I'll push it a little and throw on some 20kgish braid with a similar leader. Any suggestions or info for while I'm up there would be great!!

Cheers

Alluring

Can't help you out with Hervey Bay, but noosa fishes well in winter. Particularly for pelagics. Longtails, Spanish Macks, Cobia and Jew off the rocks around the headland. Haven't fished the rocks there myself much but know people who have to great success. Spinning metals and poppers is probably your best bet, but to mix it up flicking big plastics around will give you a shot at jew and big snapper.

The estuary itself (Noosa River) fires for trevally (many species), Queenies, Big Tailor and other bits and pieces over the winter months. So while you're there i'd check it out for sure. Flatties and Bream aren't too hard to track down around the river mouth as well. To get the most out of the river i'd be ataking a light bream outfit as well. Should handle the pelagics in the river but expect some good fights. I'm heading up next week. Hopefully the pelagics are on. Always hoping for a winter jack ^_^

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

Can't help you out with Hervey Bay, but noosa fishes well in winter. Particularly for pelagics. Longtails, Spanish Macks, Cobia and Jew off the rocks around the headland. Haven't fished the rocks there myself much but know people who have to great success. Spinning metals and poppers is probably your best bet, but to mix it up flicking big plastics around will give you a shot at jew and big snapper.

The estuary itself (Noosa River) fires for trevally (many species), Queenies, Big Tailor and other bits and pieces over the winter months. So while you're there i'd check it out for sure. Flatties and Bream aren't too hard to track down around the river mouth as well. To get the most out of the river i'd be ataking a light bream outfit as well. Should handle the pelagics in the river but expect some good fights. I'm heading up next week. Hopefully the pelagics are on. Always hoping for a winter jack ^_^

Cheers, Tom

Woaah thanks heaps for that, this kind of info is golden!! Any idea how the longer diving minnows go? Got a great set of the rapala xraps I'd love to give a spin. But oh man this has just made me super keen. As a kid my dad would throw a hand line or two with me out off the rocks around the national park, we'd get a fair few little reef fish but now I'm keen for something bigger!!

Woaah thanks heaps for that, this kind of info is golden!! Any idea how the longer diving minnows go? Got a great set of the rapala xraps I'd love to give a spin. But oh man this has just made me super keen. As a kid my dad would throw a hand line or two with me out off the rocks around the national park, we'd get a fair few little reef fish but now I'm keen for something bigger!!

Yeah xraps and other divers should go well. I'd be surprised if you didn't pick up some good tuna/cobia/macks off the rocks if you fish the right spots. Pop into the local tackle store when you get up there as they'll let you know what's going on.

Cheers, Tom