First Fly Combo help

PRED-ATOR

Hi Raiders,

I want to purchase my first fly fishing combo.

I want to use it to chase carp (just to begin with, i have heard they are an easy species to target)

First off, i no nothing about fly fishing, WHAT IS A TIPPET?!!!!! lol but i thought the first step would be to get a simple but effective combo to play around with.

Can anyone recommend a combo, weight and line? oh while your there, could someone give me some fly suggestions to please : ) I have been checking out the redington combos on ebay, they are about $150.

I would really appreciate some help on this, and if ya dont mind showing me the ropes, that would be even more awesome!

Cheers, Stan

Hi Royce hope yu been well mate,

Cheers mate. i tried to send you a PM but i think your inbox is full.

I dont think i want to spend too much right now, mainly becuase i will probably destroy it in the process. Do you thing 2-250 is enough?

I'll be out of the office at 430, ill give you a call after then?

Hi Stan,

Firstly let me just say from my experience, Carp are not easy to catch, that is to say don't expect them to just jump on your hook.

I've not yet done it, but Carp on the fly rod sure would be fun. I used to target Carp back in my youth in the UK, and on pretty heavy spin gear (around a 5kg rod).

They pull very hard, so on the fly would be pretty insane, especially if you get into some 20lb plus fish!

As for a combo its hard to say, there are quite a few cheap outfits available these days.

As for rods, I use a Greys 6wt. Great rods, and fairly cheap if your order online from the UK.

You would be able to muscle in big Carp on a 6wt, a heavier rod (7-8wt) would be better, but less fun lol, and not as versatile if you want to target Trout etc.

I would say in this instance, targeting Carp, it would be wise to spend a bit more on a good reel with a nice drag.

Not so long ago I invested in a Lamson Velocity reel. Quite pricey, but the drag system is great.

Lamson reels all have a conical drag system, so the cheaper reels (the Guru) would be nice.

I guess it really all comes down to budget, you get what you pay for. Probably a good idea to see what you can pick up secondhand perhaps?

Tippet is the line you use at the fly end of the outfit. So you have your fly line, then to a tapered leader, then to your tippet. Its fine to tie your tippet straight to your fly line, but having a tapered leader in between gives you better line lay on the water.

As to flies for targeting Carp, you can get bread flies, which float. I would start there for targeting carp on the fly.

Hope this helps Stan.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

G'day Stan,

Have a look at Redington. Its a good quality value brand and they do complete combos that are very fishable for pretty much any budget. I've got Loomis and Sage rods to play with but one of my favourite rods is a 6wt Redington CPX.

I've caught plenty of Carp on fly and Chris is right, they won't just jump on your hook unluess you get the approach right... although if you get it right they can be caught consistently. Depending on where you chase them, try fishing with either some scruffy brown nymphs or some wooly worms. I used to catch them in the Parramatta River right in the middle of Parramatta where they'd wait under some overhanging trees for little berries to drop off... in that situation if you can make a slow sinking nymph plop into the water just like a berry, they will come and hoover it up no worries.

Other times in rivers, your best bet can be to try to spot cruising fish and either drop a nymph a few meters in front, allowing them to find it just as its sinking... or if its shallow or the carp are 'bottom grubbing', switch to a wooly worm type fly and let is sink to the bottom in front of them. A strike indicator is handy for that kind of fishing.

Cheers, Tony

PS. I've also got both Lamson (Velocity) and Sage reels and they are absolutely beautiful pieces of equipment. If you like good gear then absolutely get one but if you're on a tighter budget you don't really need anything that sophisticated. Even a cheaper Redington or Okuma fly reel will have a drag more than up to the job. You're better off spending more on the rod and line and saving a little on the reel than getting a more expensive reel and compromising on the rod.

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony,

I checked them out last night. I also checked out scott and Temple Fork outfitter rods.

Temple Fork have a combo going for $200.00 USD on their website + lifetime guarantee. Most of the rods i see in the beginner section are MF (Medium Fast), Cant really find any Fast action.

Would medium fast be OK?

Ive got a fly rod. Was using it to target some bream yesterday until I snagged my fly in one of the trees. I bought one of the original penn international rods. I think I was in with a good chance yesterday if that tree didn't take my fly. My rods an 8wt with 6lb tapered leader setup and a 6lb flurocarbon tippet. Its not easy. Ive practiced for hours at home casting. I can make some good 20m plus casts. When I put it into practice I rush my casts and they flop. You must be patient. If you see someone fly fishing the parra give me a shout lol.

From wharf road up to iron cove. I was fishing there on monday with Pete. Water was crystal clear which wasnt good. We moved to another spot further up river and we scored bream and pete dropped a good number off fish and we both got busted a couple of times. Shoot me a pm man ill bring my gear down and well go for a fish.

• 2 weeks later...