Removing carpet flooring (and glue)

Paikea

I am still in the process of fitting out my Tournament 1800, not much to go now.

Decided to get rid of the carpet floor as it is constantly wet and hard to clean.

I started by pulling off one side, no problem came off easy but left ugly glue all over the floor.

I tried rubbing the glue with Mineral turps and scrubbing it, that worked after a fashion but very slow.

Switched to Acetone, wet a rag with the Acetone and left it on a patch of the floor for 3 - 5 minutes. Then used a scrubbing brush to remove the glue. Works a treat and leaves the gel coated floor clean and shiny.(see Pics)

Cheers

Paikea

I used my wife's good vacuum cleaner to clean the last carpet. Put it back in the cupboard, she used it a week later and Kaboom, blew the motor up, tripped the breakers and scared her to death.

I tried to keep quiet about it and just pulled it apart but a week with salt in the innards had done the job, total write off. That little experience cost me a new cleaner of the expensive kind and a warning never to go near the cleaner again unless I was doing the housework.

So, I am happy to use mats of some sort.

Still looking for some matting that is cheap enough. The PVC tubing mats have been quoted at around $500.00. I might give that a miss and look for some alternative.

cheers

Paikea

Hi

Are you planning to put something over the top of the fibreglass either glued or just loose?

I am removing the foam backed lining from the cabin areas of my boat at the moment. When this is removed it leaves the glue remnants on the fibreglass much like your photo.

At the hardware store I found a product that works well. It is a blue coloured wheel that looks a bit like a heavy duty scotch bright pad. You attach to either drill or angle grinder. I think it is called a stripping wheel and is specifically for removing graffiti from a variety of surfaces including fibreglass.

I found this to work well, although I would recommend doing a small hidden section first just to be confident you are getting the result you are looking for. You would probably want to put something over the fibreglass for aesthetic reasons as whatever you do the surface of the fibreglass will not be shiny and pristine once you have finished.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brad

I am thinking of removing the carpet out of mine and replacing it with removable carpet. My previous boat had marine carpet with press studs holding it in place. Was really easy to wash out after each trip.

I am looking at putting in some loose PVC or Rubber mats that I can lift out at the end of a fishing session. There are a few good options around. I will post pics when I get them.

The method that I am using to remove the glue leaves the surface of the floor like new. No dulling off so will wash down easily. The only problem is fumes from the Acetone. I intend to wear a mask and gloves when I do the rest of the floor.

Cheers

Paikea