Anyone going browns tommorow

Nick1987k

Ouch that's a long way to wind. We did it on the weekend with deck winches.

Didn't get a fish past the sharks or bight off.

My advise is 200 lb trace or wire. Those gemmies have serious teeth.

Very jealous as I'll be at work.

Hahhaa mate I tried for the first time as I never been there an wasn't prepared to bottom bash ! Improvised with plenty sinkers that we had left an plastics as no bait got a smaller fisher an cut that up then for bait , dropped down an like u said got cut off an that's all the leads we had ! So taking plenty tommorow . I just bought 200 lb trace today . will fish for a mako Aswell .

How did you go Blue? Any pics?

And what size/type boat do you fish from at Browns, only been there in game boats myself but thinking that on a good day it may be possible in a smaller boat? Anyone done that?

Cheers

Paikea

Mate I've got a 6.1 Barcrusher with 130 etec ! Safe as houses boat but as in any boat pick the rite conditions ! It's not really as far out as you think ! Always make sure u have enough fuel an more . Im trying tommorow but will be ordering an electric reel ASAP !!

Id use break away sinkers if i was winding up buy hand You will have no issue getting a shark.

On sat we couldn't get a gemmie past the sharks.

So we gave up and put a shark rig on. I then spent the next 4 and a half hours hooked up on 24 kg on full sunset drag. Lucky the boys tied me to the boat haha didn't get to identify it but the back of my boat is 2.4 m wide and the shark had a good meter on that.

I will be out there with 1 alvey king deck winch and 1 electric reel, 200lb main line and 400lb trace line. Will be on 21, say goodya I will be in the red and white plate boat, good luck tomorrow guys.

Cheers Mike

Edited by FISHBONES

Mate had a live bait about 100 m down as that's we're the gem fish were getting taken.

I've landed then with a 200 lb leader but they do bight through it sometimes.

That's right, especially with the size of the gemmies out there at the moment. You might lost a few with 200lb leader.

Cheers Mike

Ok where are all the pics?

Great day today so no excuse for not having gone out.

My boat is a Tournament 1800 (5.75M incl Bowsprit or 5.45M without) with a 21 degree dead rise bottom and 160 L of fuel. Plus a !35 HP Merc on the back with only 60 hrs on the clock. Will have a try out wide when I get out of my "moon boot" (5 more weeks) and find another boat to go out with.

I have stand up game rods/reels left over from game fishing days (Penn gold 30 and 50W's ) plus an Alvey winch (Queen model?) so should be able to handle Gemmies. never caught one but love to try.

Cheers

Paikea

Mate had a live bait about 100 m down as that's we're the gem fish were getting taken.

I've landed then with a 200 lb leader but they do bight through it sometimes.

That's right, especially with the size of the gemmies out there at the moment. You might lost a few with 200lb leader.

Cheers Mike

Hey mate how did you end up going out there . Couldn't manage a gem definatly investing in a electric reel ! Or deck winch .

No sharks either .

We got our fill of gemmies in a few drops on sunday then spent the next few hours feeding them to makos. Had a ball on fish up to 150. Just fed a gemmie head down about 50m and didnt have to wait ling each time.