How do you burley on the beach?

RichieR

G'day Raiders,

Im having trouble when Im beach fishing to find a way to burley without my burley pot / bag ending up half way up the beach sitting on the sand. Has anyone got any tips for holding a burley bag still so I dont have to keep baby sitting it?

I feel like half my time spent on the beach is chasing and throwing the bloody thing back in!

Thanks in advance!

Pick your spot at low tide and bury pilchard cubes in the sand . If you do a line of burley of approx 1 to 2 meters long diagonally up the beach and repeat it say every 2 to 3 meters up the beach to the high tide mark then as the tide comes in it will progressively uncover the cubes and wash a steady stream of burley into your fishing spot.

A bit of an effort to do but works a treat.

Cheers

Paikea

Pick your spot at low tide and bury pilchard cubes in the sand . If you do a line of burley of approx 1 to 2 meters long diagonally up the beach and repeat it say every 2 to 3 meters up the beach to the high tide mark then as the tide comes in it will progressively uncover the cubes and wash a steady stream of burley into your fishing spot.

A bit of an effort to do but works a treat.

Cheers

Paikea

Thats bloody genius!

Mate, liquid/oil based burleys work heaps well too and cover alot of ground

I use tuna oil with mashed pillies or bread. Good thing is, the oil soaks into the sand too so even when the oil is disbursed, the sand is still giving off a smell. Dont have to throw too far either as the waves will carry the smell out.

I dont use a burley pot off the beach.

Make sure there is no surfers in the water LOL

The best that I ever saw was used by two very serious beach fishermen who used a beach buggy to travel up and down the beach.

They had a drum made from reinforcing steel rod covered in chicken wire. The whole thing was about 600 dia and around 1M long.

They had light chain (like the type that you use to hang light fittings) fixed to the centre of each end. The chain was then connected to two rebar rods that they pushed into the sand as far as they could. The rods were set about double the length to the drum apart.

They had the drum full of fish frames (not completely full but you get the drift). As the waves came up and down the beach the drum would roll up and down with each wave. This caused the chicken wire to shred the burley sending a steady stream into the water.

As the tide moved up they simply lifted the rods out and moved them up the beach.

A lot of trouble but I always wanted to try it on some of our Northern Beaches. May do that yet.

Cheers

Paikea

^^ You could probably make a smaller version of that with a small bucket with a screw on lid and some small holes.

The problem I have with :

Get a pole shove it in the ground tie your burley pot to it, and the pots not going anywhere just up and down in the wash

Is that I have the rope too long and the bag/pot just gets washed up on the shore then stays there.
Should I walk into the surf a bit and bang the pole in there with a very short rope ?

I will definitely be trying to bury little cubes of pillies next time I hit the beach for a long session!

Onion bags from your local fruit n veg shop,fill with burley and hold in place with metal spike/rod holder.Either spike it so it stays still or attach a length of rope{1/2 mtr or so} so it can swing around a bit.

I used to steal a pair of the :wife: stockings and stake them down. I would fill it with a chum mix and because the stocking mesh is so fine not much escapes aside from the smell which brings them in and doesn't fill them up before they find my bait/lures.