Maps on Laptop

midcoast1

I run a HDS5 sounder/gps split screen . Will the navionics for the HDS5 work in a laptop . I am inexperienced with charts on laptops . What would I require apart from the gps dongle . The reason I ask is because the laptop with the bigger screen will be easier to read . Sorry if its been asked before .

Edited by midcoast1

Why an ipad . My netbook would do the same job without the expense of buying an ipad wouldn't it

I agree still have not found a purpose for an Ipad or Tablet other then to occupy the missus with games "candy crush" while you sneak a decent computer out the door!

I agree still have not found a purpose for an Ipad or Tablet other then to occupy the missus with games "candy crush" while you sneak a decent computer out the door!

I'd have buckleys of sneaking her ipad out the door .

The iPad you can buy the Navionics app for around $70 gives you full mapping. Put it in a waterproof case an it is useable anywhere in the boat.

The map and GPS is spot on, adds great redundancy.

If you have an iPhone ad well, then the app loads up on both, so then you have your HDS5, plus iPad, plus iPhone, great backup.

I have an LCX17M which is. Lowrance 7" mono. I use the sonar on it, thn the IPad running the maps.

Going to Browns, I had the coordinates set in the lowrance and iPad. The lowrance I had basically set on the arrows to line up where we needed to head and all the data down th left side of the screen. The iPad was being used by everyone on board, to check where we were on the map etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

With your iPad don't you need Internet connection for the GPS to work? Sorry if that's a dumb question but mine always dies if I don't have connectivity

You can get 2 types, one with 3G (internet) and one without (just WiFi only).

I personally don't see the point of a 3G iPad. In this day and age, everyone has mobile phones with data. With that in mind, you can turn on the "hotspot" and connect your Wifi iPad. This way you're not spending extra money on sim card for your iPad.

You don't need Internet connection for the GPS.

The 3G iPads have the GPS fitted standard. I believe the WiFi only units do not have n internal GPS so you have to add an accessory.

You do NOT have to fit a SIM card in the 3G model for the GPS to work.

I am not looking for the Internet connection to work when I am out anyway. That being said 2 weeks ago I was getting intermittent reception at Browns on Vodafone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just to inform the rest of you guys - I have found that the software is available from google play store and theres versions for android & windows aswell..

I-Pad I dont know, I have a samsung galaxy wifi version it does have built in GPS antenna.

Sure would mid coast. Email the software makers and see if they are compatible with windows

Checked out ozz_bretts idea . Getting a tablet with a built in GPS and will use the navionics app on it . Cheaper than an ipad and appears to work just as good .