Shark strung up in 'act of cruelty' off NSW central coast

Catchin Jack

4850342-3x2-700x467.jpg

The discovery of a two-metre shark tied up by its tail and drowned off the New South Wales central coast has horrified divers.

Disturbing images have been released by marine photographer Robbert Westerdyk, who found the dead mako shark on Saturday after it had been strung up by the tail.

The animal was tethered to a buoy within HMAS Adelaide's exclusion zone off Avoca and Terrigal beaches.

Describing the scene as barbaric, Mr Westerdyk says he cut the animal free and it sank to the bottom.

"Someone had actually tied its tail round and round this marker buoy," he said.

"Someone must've done it because there was also a big slice through its mid-sections.

"Whether or not the shark was totally dead at the time... it was a really ugly sight to see."

Dr David Powter, a senior environmental science lecturer at Newcastle University's Ourimbah campus, says it appears to be a deliberate act of cruelty.

"This is such a senseless act for such a beautiful creature and it would apply if it wasn't a shark, if it wasn't a marine organism," he said.

"It's just such a senseless act to take a life like that for no purpose."

Dr Powter says the culprits are most likely recreational and game fishers who are known to target mako sharks.

"It's a bit disappointing that if the animal is caught, then it'd be wasted effectively by being tossed back," he said.

NSW Fisheries is investigating the incident.

From ABC News

Yeah Right, More to this than meets the eye, note the one long rope going from the fishes mouth back around its body then around its tail , then floating along in the current for many meters , this fish has wrapped itself around that bouy , not done intentionally by any human hand as suggested.

my scenario would be enticed to the back of a boat with a big bait and took off with hook line and sinker , then got caught up on the bouy later.

my 2c worth anyway.

snr

doesnt look intentional to me either. the perp would have to dive into the water and secure the knot down where it is... its just an unfortunate accident caused by human carelessness (ie discarding of rope or whatever....)

Yep - the villification campaign against recreational fishers is alive and well.

The greens and animal libbers have us firmly in their sights.

And the media is in their pocket.

Look at this News Corp Murdoch Daily Tele dribble:

Barbaric mako shark killing ...

... brutally killed, bound and hung

... stabbed through the chest

... barbaric slaying

... "It can only be have done by fishermen"

... "If this was a land creature, the perpetrator would get locked up"

These media propanganda pushers won't be getting any of my money. I'll be spending it on going fishing instead. :)