2009 Mercury 30 hp electric start neutral switch problem and oil leak

Deschanel

Hi boaties

Just wondering if anyone out there has a 2009 Mercury 30 hp electric start or similar motor. If you are able to look at the neutral micro switch length. The movable tang on the end is about 5mm on mine just want to compare to see if mine is snapped or worn as when the motor is in neutral the stricker plate just touches but not enough to let the motor start electrically. See picture of switch, couldn't take a pic of the switch end tang

Also after a short run today after a few months came back and flushed motor then notice slightly milky oil coming from under gearbox on leg from a water drain hole. What seal is letting this oil out I'm assuming maybe from gearbox. See picture

Also motor has done around 15hrs since last service but it has been a year.

post-4024-0-52832900-1379733978_thumb.jpg

post-4024-0-61554900-1379734223_thumb.jpg

Hi boaties

Just wondering if anyone out there has a 2009 Mercury 30 hp electric start or similar motor. If you are able to look at the neutral micro switch length. The movable tang on the end is about 5mm on mine just want to compare to see if mine is snapped or worn as when the motor is in neutral the stricker plate just touches but not enough to let the motor start electrically. See picture of switch, couldn't take a pic of the switch end tang

Also after a short run today after a few months came back and flushed motor then notice slightly milky oil coming from under gearbox on leg from a water drain hole. What seal is letting this oil out I'm assuming maybe from gearbox. See picture

Also motor has done around 15hrs since last service but it has been a year.

My guess is prop seal probably has fishing line around it, chews the seal at in no time & let's water in to gearbox , oil & water = milky

I'm no expert, but I don't think thats correct.

That hole with the milky discharge, I think is the remains of un-burnt fuel\oil (so you'll see it an hour or so after you flush the motor). Having said that, mine doesn't discharge that color... mines more of a brown color. Maybe someone else here might have an idea why its milky grey.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Hey mate mine can be milky at times to sometimes is either old fuel or oil my mech said its not a prob you will notice to it get milky when u flood the engine cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi, I would not listen this guy if that is what he told you. IF you are seeing excess fuel/oil from running a too rich fuel/oil fuel/oil or engine running too cold it will not be milky oil you see and choking an engine has nothing to do with it. The oil you are seeing, if it is milky, is in fact gearlube so why not drain the gearbox and see if the same colour oil and if so you will have a leaking gearbox seal and there are a few of them so you will need a pressure and vacuum check on it to find the culprit.

Cheers,

Huey.