Surface Popper Advice

jezzap84

Hey All,

My brother in law has a place up near Maitland right on the river. The locals have said that there is a lot of Bass up there and to use surface poppers. Any advice on some good surface poppers to use for Bass? Colours, sizes etc would be great.

This will be a different type of fishing for me, so going to be an experience.

On a side note those same locals said there is alot of Carp up there and to use canned corn. Anyone heard of this before? Seemed way out of left field, but willing to give it a go.

Cheers in advance all.

Jezza

Hey Jezza,

I've watched a couple of videos on youtube where they were using softplastics on the surface. As iceman said cicada soft shells are pretty good i have a couple of black ones.

With carp I have heard of corn, never caught one on corn yet. When i target them with Pred-a-tor, we use a small j hook with bread on the surface.

Must success is late afternoon, burley up with bread and soon as you see them take it, throw your line out and wait for them to smash it.

We fish fairly light, 4lb braid with 4lb leader, they are loads of fun.

Cheers

Matt

My faves in order.

Bubble pop 35 in black.

Jitterbug, single & double jointed, in black.

Heddon tiny torpedo in black.

Have you noticed that I like black?

Any cicada imitation will work, but I find the jitterbugs swim better.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Grant.

They come in 3 types that I know of.

Standard, double jointed, which are a fave for big bass & murray cod,

& a big single that has a set of treblles each side & a set underneath ( another cod fave )

If you get the double jointed make sure you unscrew each of the connections & then

araldite them back in. That includes the joint, trebles & tow point.

I've had them pull apart on BIG bass & cod before.

I would go the standard for now.

Cheers,

Grant.

Plenty of pauses.

Especially after the lure lands. Wait until the last of the rings on the water

disappear before starting your retrieve.

Think about how a bug reacts when it falls out of a tree & into the water.

Copy that & you will catch bass.

Most of the fish I got on the weekend hit the jitterbug on the pause.

Cheers,

Grant.

The other thing to do with your jitterbugs (or any lure for Bass) is to throw them right into harm's way. If you're not occaisonally getting hung up on snags, you're not fishing close enough to them.

Try positioning yourself (either on the water or the bank) so that your Jitterbug swims right along the edge of or over the top of submerged snags, logs, and other ugliness. Expect to get hit when your lure is in the ugliest part of the ugliest snags.

I heard a saying once that for every 10cm further away from a snag you land your lure, you reduce your chances of getting a hit by 10%... not a real fact but if you don't cast into the ugliness you won't get many Bass). One of the reasons that Bass fishing is so much fun is that you get to sledge each other heaps every time a lure ends up in a tree... but people who don't get sledged, don't catch fish.

As far as Carp go corn kernels are the best bait possible. If I fish for Carp I never use anything else, just fill the hook completely up with kernels and use the creamed corn for burley as it doesn't fill them up and they'll take the kernels as soon as they see them.

With Bass on the surface I've found any cicada type lures work best cast right into heavy cover/shady areas and I always count to 10 before retrieving the lure and that's when I get most hits, especially if the current is slow and the lure holds steady. If I don't get a strike I just use a stop start retrieve until the lure is out of the strike zone.

If they aren't firing up on the top I usually use small shallow divers and hold the rod tip up high so they swim just under the surface and sometimes I have success when they aren't quite "on" just make sure the retrieve is slow.

Hope this helps, I fish the Hunter River all the time and have all my life and this is what works for me. They should be well and truly on by the time you go, good luck.

Thanks Dave, will keep that in mind as well. Sucks I have to wait a few weeks to test it all out.

Really keen to nab a decent fish, haven't gotten once since my honeymoon and it was completely by accident when I wasn't as keen on fishing.

Well bass on surface, this is one of my favorite topics. Much like grant I like black lures, but I have found that when tey hit top water colour isn't so much of an issue. My favorite topwater are:

Tiemco soft shell cicada

Megabass pop x jnr

Lucky craft Sammy 65mm

They are a bit pricey so of you aren't too keen on the price tag, the river2sea 55mm popper is a great little lure an works a treat with a single/double pop and 5-10second pause. Just make sure you use mono leader otherwise the fluorocarbon leader will drag it under. Cast to the shaded areas on the river

I got a few different ones based on the tackle shops advice.

River2Sea Bubble Pop45

River2Sea Baby Crank

Kokoda Popstar60mm

Berkley Bass Kit. Has different ones in there and replaced the trebles as that part of it looked cheap on them.

Was looking for the jitterbug but they didnt seem to have it. Going to keep looking.

Sorry, but I really don't agree with the American guy.

If lures have a split ring attached you don't need a swivel.

If it doesn't then tie a lefty's loop & you don't need a swivel.

On a surface lure you NEVER use a swivel.

Swivel dribble. You don't need them on lures or plastics.

Cheers,

Grant.