Paikea's floor covering.

Paikea

After a lot of searching I ended up installing some plastic floor sheeting bought from Bunnings to my Tournament boat.

I agree that Regupol is the gold standard for flooring but I could not justify the added cost.

The sheeting comes in any length and 900 wide. I used two sheets joined in the middle of the floor using small cable ties. Works a treat.

The pattern is very aggressive and not kind to bare feet but totally non slip.

The sheeting has small lugs on the bottom that lift facilitate water freely draining from under the sheeting. I can also lift the flooring up if I need to hose the floor direct. (as you sometimes need to at the back of the cockpit under the bait prep station)

The next two pic show the top surface and the non slip pattern.

This pic shows the little lugs on the bottom of the sheeting that facilitates free drainage.

Cheers

Paikea

• 2 weeks later...

Impossible to get the smell of any bait/fish that drops on the floor out of carpet. As a result the boss complained every time she got in the boat. I had the boat in my garage for week and the smell went right through the house. Result? Boat banned from the garage.

I do like the feel of carpet but cleaning it was just a pain. The new floor is dead simple, no smell, washes out easily and looks just as good.

cheers

Paikea

Hey Paikea . . .

It looks practical , easily maintainable and servicable . . . . i would think its a great option just for the fact that you dont have remove the floor to install/replace

I will definately consider this as my next covering

The only thing that may concern me is sore feet . . . . as you stated the aggresive pattern.

Regards Gibson

Had similar flooring in previous boat. I lived up north at the time where we used to bottom bash with 100lb hand lines. Bare feet was a must so you knew when you were standing on someone else's line.

This is great stuff but really hammers bare feet. If you wear shoes on your boat then it's a great option. I ended up going back to carpet.

Locodave, I forgot to mention that as carpet takes a long time to dry then if you keep your boat under a waterproof cover in the open the inside of the boat will often be damp when you take the cover off. I have even had mould in parts of the cockpit. So much better with the replacement flooring.

Cheers

Paikea

Impossible to get the smell of any bait/fish that drops on the floor out of carpet. As a result the boss complained every time she got in the boat. I had the boat in my garage for week and the smell went right through the house. Result? Boat banned from the garage.

I do like the feel of carpet but cleaning it was just a pain. The new floor is dead simple, no smell, washes out easily and looks just as good.

cheers

Paikea

Mate, ever poured 300ml of vanilla fridge cleaner over the carpet, works a treat in the engel and carpet....

Had same problem in my old Hornet, if the vanilla didn't work, I'd just drop the ex of at a beach.....probably why she an ex lol

Let me know how it is on the feet as I'm a no shoe guy on a boat...

I noticed your Ulladula?? Was down there today.

Eames