Who's Feeling The Winter Sting

kevvie

Coming off a dynamite autumn period i would have swore bilnd that winter would still be resonable for our bread and butter species. Where have they gone, it's a ghost town out there.

Is anybody else feeling the sting of winter?

:ranting2:

mate i fish the bay with softies only, i don't think berley works with lures. I could be wrong. Good to see your having success. Trevs really are the saving grace in winter but they have thinned out, for me anyway.

62207[/snapback]

kevvie Iam with you mate ,Icaught a few trevs this moring on bait and then went for a spin on the S/Ps 2 hours for 2 just legal flattys ???????? :ranting2:

Someone (preferably everyone) please run a lead from your house to the water put a couple of kettle elements in the Hawkesbury/Pittwater and heat the damn thing up....please!

Spent approx 15 hours on the water over the weekend and a small chopper and some yakkas for bait is all I got to show for it!!

:ranting2:

I agree it is tough, but I would say that there are still opportunities to catch fish with persistance.

Heard a story on the weekend about a bunch of fishos who spent last week up at Broughton Island. Basically they fished Mon-Wed solid for nothing of note. Then on Thursday a lick of warm water came in (17.5+ vs. 15) and they had an aesome session on the Snapper:

Apparently, 3 fish better than 5kg each, 1 fish at 8kg and 1 fish at 11.5kg cleaned :1yikes:

Right place at the right time it would seem, but definitely a case of persistance in the face of adversity.

BTW, I had a pretty slow day at Port on Saturday but still managed a nice feed. report to follow.

Regards

Byron

G`day Fellas ,

Yep , I have to agree , its tough alright !.

All the top guns up here , have caught absolutely Zilch for the last 10 days or so .

My youngfella braved the cold sunday evening till 10 pm , and his tally was One Shark .

I blame it on the cold snap , what else could it be ???.

Although I saw a coupple of blow ins cleaning a few just legal whiting near the lagoon on sunday arvo.

Mick

I agree about the cold weather fishing woes, although I do prefer being on the water in winter on a nice sunny day rather than the summer heat.

My expectations for a big fishing day in the cold weather arent that high so im never dissapointed if I dont catch anything.

I try to stick to the warm water areas of Lake Mac in winter which can be up to 21 deg. These usually produce some nice fish on most occasions, where the rest of the Lake can be dead.

Cheers :biggrin2:

Things look like they've picked up.. after going fishless for three outings botany delivered a solid days fishing at last.. 10 good flatties and 8 trevors. We dropped and threw back about as many. Last two hours of the run out was the key. As soon as the tide turned it was like someone flicked the switch off..

Good luck everyone.. the fish are there.. like jewhunter said.. pick the tides :1clap:

flatties are there alright... I spooked a heap of em' at "shallow hal" the other day. The water was gin clear and in about a foot and a half of water we saw em scatter in all directions.. big ones too.

Try shallow water at the moment. Flatties are basking themselves in the sun. Add a touch of weed and sand and you can't go wrong. I've had success on berkely bass minnows 3'' :1fishing1:

flatties are there alright... I spooked a heap of em' at "shallow hal" the other day. The water was gin clear and in about a foot and a half of water we saw em scatter in all directions.. big ones too.

Try shallow water at the moment. Flatties are basking themselves in the sun. Add a touch of weed and sand and you can't go wrong. I've had success on berkely bass minnows 3'' :1fishing1:

Welcome to Spring, its always tough at this time of year, but when you add the small amount of rain, it really looks like a desert.

It's best to concentrate on the known late winter producers, blackfish,drummer, trevs, jackets, and start looking for early arriving salmon. I saw a huge school of pelagics in the middle of the heads on Wednesday.

Matt