Broken Bay - East and West reef fishing

foulhooked

I do the majority of my fishing in the hawkesberry and broken bay area but only manage good snapper and kingfish if I journey all the way down to long reef. In fishing books and various websites they say that East and West reef fish well, however whenever I've been there I've only manages garbage fish. Is this place dead from the trawlers? Or am I fishing it wrong?

At times East Reef can be a great spot, but like most places can vary dramatically. It is a large reef, and down to 10m, I find look around slowly checking out the sounder and then set up a strong burley trail.......and be patient......for a while.....if no results, then move around. The pros do fish it, with lines but not trawlers so far as I have seen.

Yes it is one of the best spots for Sergeant Bakers I know of!

I don't know alot about the productiveness of the reefs, but trolling the headlands around broken bay with livies/lures put you in a good chance with a king. Also pittwater starts to fire this time of year and over the next few months.

Edited by macca02

I find early morning before sunrise and just after work best. Fish move onto and off these reefs so if you cannot see anything on the sounder or no fish after anchoring within 30 min, move on. Dont be afraid of going closer in or wider out as well. Just watch for the nearby fishing exclusion zone.