Ethanol E10 effect on outboard

Linc

Hi Raiders,

I think I may have inadvertently topped up my fuel tank for my 30hp Suzuki outboard with E10 about a month ago before the last trip out. It started up no worries but towards the end of the day was having a little trouble getting it started (which is really rare in the 14 months I’ve had the motor it always started first try once it was warm).

I’m thinking the E10 must be the culprit as I’d just had it served in September as well.

The engine was brand new in September 2012, would E10 cause any major issues, should I have it looked at or just tip out the remaining fuel in the tank and refill using good old regular unleaded?

I’ve not taken the boat out for about 3 weeks, would it be best to change the fuel in the tank, hook up the hose on the earmuffs and try to start it at home before taking it out next?

Any advice would be great, I’m no expert with outboard engines and the effects of E10.

Cheers,

Linc

E10 will separate without a fuel stabiliser over time, not the best.

Doesn't sound the best, but also doesn't sound like it would have destroyed my engine in one outing, so if I just change the fuel, hopefully all will be good?

G'day

Check with your manufacturer or documentation to see whether your engine and fuel system, if you have a sub floor tank, are compatible with ethanol. Ethanol can eat away some hoses, but if your outboard is that new it may well be compatible?

Cheers Leo

E10 is not recommended for marine use. It absorbs moisture. I even see signs on pumps at service stations which say not to use it in outboards or marine engines.

If you only had the one tankful, then emptying it out and replacing it with ordinary 92 octane unleaded should solve your issues and get your motor running normally again.

Edited by mr475

I have occasionally put E10 in my Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke by mistake and have not noticed any problems. I just top up asap with unleaded (if I can get it) or premium. As I usually fill up when the tank is about half empty, i'm really only getting E5. I'd be surprised if 1 tank of E10 would have any effect unless it was left sitting in the tank for a long time. Years ago I accidentally half filled my car with diesel. It ran pretty rough until I was able to dilute the diesel with petrol. And it didn't seem to have any effect on the engine long term.

Here is an extract from the Clubmarine website

WHAT THE MANUFACTURES SAY

Most manufacturers of late-model marine engines approve the use of E10 in their products.

BRP-Evinrude: Evinrude motors can tolerate up to 10 per cent alcohol in fuels, (which is the maximum currently sold in Australia)

Honda: Honda engines are designed for good performance and efficient operation using petrol containing from 0 to 10 per cent ethanol

Mercury: Mercury engines will withstand up to 10 per cent ethanol in gasoline

Suzuki: Suzuki recommends the use of pure petrol, but can operate efficiently with 10 per cent ethanol

Yamaha: All 2008 and later models are suitable for use with ethanol E10 blended fuel. Models prior to 2008 are not suitable for ethanol blended fuel.

Edited by Benzeenees

It's not modern engines you have to worry about, it's the grunge that E10 scours out of old tanks. Plus it is hydroscopic and phase separates over time. Bad stuff for marine use or anything where fuel has to sit unused for a long time (months).

Empty the tank, purge the fuel hose and clean the filters. Should be right.