South West Rocks....

michaelrdoyle@gmail.com

Heading to SW rocks next week - with a 4.8m quintrex.

First time fishing there. Any suggestions for spots? Or techniques?

Any other info I should know about the area? Where to get bait and gear from? Fishing techniques?

Anyone heard of anything going at the moment?

thanks

Mike

Some years ago I took my wife and our two girls fishing in the river at night in my 3.6m tinnie. We tied up to the bridge pylons at Jerseyville and climbed onto the concrete base of one of the pylons.

We used both mullet and squid for bait and caught 5 Jewfish. Not huge but fantastic for the girls who caught them. We could also hear bigger Jewies "boofing" in the shallows as they chased baitfish. All in all, a great night.

The break wall to the entrance is a well known spot for big Jewies. I watched one evening as a couple of guys came down with a garbage bin as their live bait tank. They threw their live mullet baits into a back eddie about two thirds along the break wall and caught three big Jews. I did not have any live bait and ended up catching nothing but great to watch the locals do their stuff.

I have also seen small boats fishing the entrance on the inside of the bar. They drift with the tide and when they get to the end of their run start their motors and go back to the beginning of their drift. I saw them catch some big Flathead and Bream doing the drifts so that may be something you could try. Live bait would be the go of course if you can get it.

Good Luck

Cheers

Paikea

I forgot to mention that I did some snorkelling along the break wall and saw heaps of Bream and Blackfish. If you do decide to drift the entrance it might pay to cast into the break wall rather than fish the deeper water.

Cheers

Paikea

I'm guessing that your looking to fish the river if so fishing the bank around the jew hole for bream and jew use your boat and over to white rock for blackfish, beam, the odd flatty and jew. spinning with chrome lures for tailor and maybe bonnito over at the boatshed off the bank for bream and flatties also can be a good place to catch some herrings for live bait drifting along the walls with livies for big flatties a good chance of a jew and some bloody big bream, spinning with large plastics for jew I haven't done this my self but blokes I know have for some bigens if your going to try for bream out of your boat plastics will work using bait either use a long leader and enough weight to hold bottom or a small sinker running up to the hook and cast towards the bank lots of pickers but some good fish aswell. hope that helps BTW if you want a shot out side use one of the pro's there.

Edited by kikila

Hi Mike

I located some pics of the fishing from the break wall described above.

The locals were well set up with live bait and big rods.

The Jew that I am holding (they caught it) was one of three for the night. It took around half an hour to land and ran right up to the bar and back again. An epic struggle that was very exiting to watch.

Pics are self explanatory. Enjoy and good luck.

Cheers

Paikea

wow!

Thanks for the great tips guys! Really appreciate it! The Jewfish possibilities look great (I hand't even thought of Jewfish). Great photos.

We're also hoping to head offshore (when the weather/bar is good) - hoping to target snapper, Kingfish, Spanish Mackerel, and whatever else is running (if they're running).