CLOSURE OF BOATRAMP

job

Hi Raiders

I would like to bring to everyones attention the proposed full closure of Bayview Park Boat ramp and encourage everyone to take a few minutes to let the people listed below know your objection to it.

Bayview Park boat ramp for those of you who do not know is located at the end of Burwood Road in the Canada Bay council area. It has recently undergone an upgrade with our ratepayers and Maritime money and is a very good facility especially for the larger trailer boats of which there are few good ramps to get them in at.

The council in its infinite wisdom held a council meeting without notification to "discuss the increase security issues" at Bayview park and decided that it is recommending that the gates be locked fully between the hours of sunset and sunrise (real good for fishos). Using the excuse of security issues of which in my time of using the ramp over the last three years I have seen none they are going to go to a period of "consultation" of which they do not specify how it will be carried out and I am sure that by the end of summer with very little if any consultation done at all the council will close the gates.

Could it be that the residents that move into the units beside the ramp complain so much or someone living there with access to council complain so much that council are going down this road because after enquiring to the local police there doesn't seem to be too many security issues. Just like those who move in beside an airport then complain about the noise. If you don't like it move the boat ramp was there first.

Currently residents who request a key to the gates can obtain one but this will be stopped under the new proposal as the council claims that the gates get left open. Maybe the gates just require something like a a swipe card entry that closes behind once you enter.

Remember fellow fishermen this happens at one ramp by one council others will follow.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please act.

people to let know your thoughts and that we don't want to take this lying down.

Pauline Webb ( pauline.webb@canadabaycouncil.nsw.gov.au)

Gary Sawyer (council@canadabay.nsw.gov.au)

JohnOsland (council@canadabay.nsw.gov.au)

Mayor Angelo Tsirekas (angelo.tsirekas@canadabay.nsw.gov.au)

IF THIS CONCERNS YOU PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO LET THE COUNCIL KNOW THEY ARE THERE TO SERVE THE PEOPLE

Thank You

JOB

Edited by job

G'day

Yeah just heard myself, and all I can say is it's a joke, and also where we launch. Like you said no consultation whatsoever.

The problem is the clowns, yelling to each other and starting their motors out of the water before 5am I think. Which I have seen first hand plenty of times, but why not have the police down there fining them instead of closing it for everyone who respects the facilities. It sets a dangerous precedence.

Cheers Leo

HI Bentstick

You are right they have been locked at night with residents who apply for keys able to get access which I pointed out. Remember we often do with mates with their boats.

The flow on effect is that we then start using other boat ramps crowding them and there car parks which will lead to what was mentioned.

I think we have to look after every little issue that we have to protect all issues that effect us all.

JOB

You are correct about using other ramps as we now use Talpin Park at Drumoyne and due to more people using that ramp they fixed it up and even extended the car park, Strange thing is that that boat ramp is down the road from Council Chambers and next to houses and they have not put gates there.

You obviously don't keep up with council proposals.

I didn't post the thread to get into some stupid debate simply to ask those who are interested in the ongoing access to our Harbour that we all have a right to to make their feelings known to those who make the decisions.

If that is not you enjoy Talpin park and what is to come when councils start these plans at other ramps in the same council controlled area.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I just noticed this thread was hoping to remind everyone to contact the council via email and voice their disapproval of being locked out - I have contacted all of the councilors and voiced a polite opinion. I also wrote a piece on it here http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/anger-over-boat-ramp-closure

Bayview park has at least 42 dedicated boat and trailer spots, Taplin Park has less than half of that amount that are dedicated to boats only with other spots available for use by cars Mon-Fri which would be a nightmare during holidays.

Even if you don't use Bayview Park it would be most appreciated if you voice an opinion to council - the added pressure on adjacent boat ramps would likely be significant and a blanket closure of Bayview Park unfairly disadvantages all of the responsible boat owners out there that use the facility.

Council contacts to email were noted above, these are the key people in the first instance

Ms Pauline Webb ( pauline.webb@canadabaycouncil.nsw.gov.au)

Mr JohnOsland (council@canadabay.nsw.gov.au)

Mayor Angelo Tsirekas (angelo.tsirekas@canadabay.nsw.gov.au)

Cheers,

Sami.

Hi All

Just to add to Sami's post regarding Bayview Park Boat ramp closure.

Despite the council telling us they were going to have a consultation period over summer with users of the ramp they failed to do so. Given that it is the busiest and best time to have consulted with users it doesn't surprise me and seems convenient.

However I have spoken to council a number of times and they have advised recently that the consultation will now take place at the end of March. I will post when and how it will be done when I know more.

Cheers

JOB