Bay Boat for Fishing Sydney Area

The Yank

Hello All, I'm a Florida fisherman who is being relocated for work to Sydney in February. The move happened kind of suddenly and I have a boat here in the states that I just finished restoring- Outboard only has 20 hours on it. The boat is a 24' Pathfinder, what we refer to as a bay style boat. It's great in the shallow bays of Florida, very low to the water and rides great across the small choppy seas we have here. I am thinking of trying to wedge the boat into my shipping container but am wondering it if would be worth it? Aside from te logistical hassles, would this type of boat be a good fishing platform in your area? Most of the boats I see for sale in Sydney area seem to have high bows and lots of freeboard. Appreciate any opinions you guys have.

I cant see a problem with that boat here It will be well suited to our waters A lot of guys were running skeeters and such but are now changing over to boats like edgewaters giving them the options of fishing the shallower waters and also heading outside the harbours to fish Most of the boats range in size from 17' to 21'

Hello All, I'm a Florida fisherman who is being relocated for work to Sydney in February. The move happened kind of suddenly and I have a boat here in the states that I just finished restoring- Outboard only has 20 hours on it. The boat is a 24' Pathfinder, what we refer to as a bay style boat. It's great in the shallow bays of Florida, very low to the water and rides great across the small choppy seas we have here. I am thinking of trying to wedge the boat into my shipping container but am wondering it if would be worth it? Aside from te logistical hassles, would this type of boat be a good fishing platform in your area? Most of the boats I see for sale in Sydney area seem to have high bows and lots of freeboard. Appreciate any opinions you guys have.

Welcome to Fishraider Yank

Cheers Blood Knot

Thanks for the input and welcome! Yes, I had heard there were some different trailer regs over there that I'd need to look into. My trailer is just under 8' wide. Not sure I'll have a car there right away so that opens other challenges to consider. Are there many dry storage marinas near the city?

Thanks for the input and welcome! Yes, I had heard there were some different trailer regs over there that I'd need to look into. My trailer is just under 8' wide. Not sure I'll have a car there right away so that opens other challenges to consider. Are there many dry storage marinas near the city?

http://www.whitebay6marine.com.au/store

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The first thing you must do though is get an import authority for the trailer, costs $50, make sure you get it before it goes into the container. If it gets picked up in customs here the storage fee, is a killer.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_c.aspx

Hiyah, welcome to the best site on fishing. As you have a 24 foot boat I guess that you will want to fish offshore?

Our seas are way different from those in Florida, substantial swells are the norm rather than the exception, also our chop when the seas rise (which they can do very quickly in a Southerly blow) is far bigger than anything that I have seen in Florida.

Why don't you post some pics of your boat showing the hull side on and the stern. I am sure that Raiders will be able to give you more complete advice when they see that.

Cheers

Paikea

Probaby more near shore and back bay. The low freeboard makes anything more than a few miles out a bit dicey. We'll run 30 miles out on a good Summer day here for Grouper and Snapper but as you mention the waters are pretty flat in the gulf that tme of year. Here's a pic of a simialr boat. Mine doesn;t have the T-Top but otherwise is very simialr

Definitely looking forward to comparing notes on how we catch fish on our respective sides of the world!

post-32679-0-73444700-1387059012.jpg

Nice looking rig but I don't think that I would like to be to far offshore when the sea is a bit rough. Does it have full flotation and is it self draining? Also what is the dead rise angle at the stern? If around 15 to 19 degrees that will make a big difference but if it is a typical Flats boat with a shallow dead rise (like the ones that the guides pole across the flats when fishing for Bonefish and Permit) I would maybe think about bringing it with you (if you can do so at no cost) and sell it here and then buy a boat that will do what you want to do whilst in Australia. You should be able to get a good price for your boat, particularly in Far North Queensland where the seas are usually much more benign.

Good Luck

Cheers

Paikea

Nice looking rig but I don't think that I would like to be to far offshore when the sea is a bit rough. Does it have full flotation and is it self draining? Also what is the dead rise angle at the stern? If around 15 to 19 degrees that will make a big difference but if it is a typical Flats boat with a shallow dead rise (like the ones that the guides pole across the flats when fishing for Bonefish and Permit) I would maybe think about bringing it with you (if you can do so at no cost) and sell it here and then buy a boat that will do what you want to do whilst in Australia. You should be able to get a good price for your boat, particularly in Far North Queensland where the seas are usually much more benign.

Good Luck

Cheers

Paikea

Or you could consider swapping it before you leave the States. My Fishing Partner has a Scout 205, that we fish comfortably offshore with, or a Grady White, Trophy walk around etc.

• 4 weeks later...

So it is looking pretty good for bringing the boat. Movers were by yesterday to measure everything up and said they can fit it and the small amount of furniture and crap we are moving into one 40' container. Assuming my company signs off on paying for it, the boat is coming with us.

I am looking to get the trailer as close to NSW legal as possible before loading it. It's a 6K lb GVWR, dual axle aluminum, exactly 8' wide. It currently has hydraulic drum brakes on one axle. (They are due for replacement anyway) Is it correct that I need a brake on every wheel or is having them on the front axle sufficient?

The NSW gov site mentiones break away brakes which I don't see much of here in the states (Dodging runaway boat trailers on the highway is a sport here in Florida) but they are available. Do you know if there are any specs for brakes and break away kits that I need to be aware of? I would hate to replace everything here only to have to do it over again there. The bitch of it is I am not planning to really trailer the boat much other than taking it to the marina. Looking at Whitebay 6 which appears to be just a launching spot and parking lot.

Aside from brakes, is there anything else I need to know? Thanks!

Guest Aussie007

yeah mate u need to change your tow hitch in the US u guys use a smaller tow ball to use we use a 50mm ball here i think u guys use a 1 3/4th tow ball?

u can check the trailer requirements here http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/

u can check your boats registration requirements here http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/

u would get top $ for your boat once its landed in australia u would get a fair more $$$$ than u would in the USA, aussies love amercian boats, but i think your boat would only be good for georges river, port hacking, hawkesbury river,

u could fish botany bay or middle harbour on nice days but when a tug boat comes past at full throttle hang on, short sharp waves around 5-6 foot tall

As far as I am aware, brakes on one axle is fine, how much does the total boat, trailer package etc weigh, as that is what denotes the breakaway system. You should be able to fit the breakaway there, as most of the systems here are US anyway. Tekonsha break away switch, etc.

The tow coupling needs to conform to Australian Standards, generally they have the AS?......... Cast into them.

If the Gross or Aggregate Trailer Mass is 6000 pounds then that's approx 2.7 tonne and it will require brakes on all wheels and a breakaway system having 15 mins reserve capacity.

VSB1has everything you need to know. I think it was linked to previously, if not it's here:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/pdf/vsb01_June2009.pdf

u could fish botany bay or middle harbour on nice days but when a tug boat comes past at full throttle hang on, short sharp waves around 5-6 foot tall

I think you guys are underestimating that boats capabilities it will handle a good chop without any problems

Guest Aussie007

I think you guys are underestimating that boats capabilities it will handle a good chop without any problems

i googled "24' Pathfinder" this came up it sits very low in the water not something i'd like to be out in the bay in a 30-50knot southerly bobbing around, drifting or being anchored plus having a tug come past full bore

last time i took my tinny out in the bay my mate said never again, a southerly hit and we were taking on water over the sides from the chop and over the windscreen, fun times

realistically that boat in the pic is only around 30cm above the water at the transom

post-3154-0-92165400-1389440867_thumb.jpg

Edited by gazza

Chances of being out in those conditions is rare(why were you out there with a southerly coming?) and theres a huge difference between your tinny and a 24ft glass boat You cant compare them and Ive spent a lot of time in both Low freeboard isn't a great problem the length of the boat lets it ride on top of the chop without dropping down into it to give you an example in a bream tournament on the bay we went from the cooks river to the georges in a 30knt southerly in a 21ft US bass boat and it sat on top of the chop at 45mph no problem

I would be checking the total weight of your package.

I note that the pathfinder website, shows the 2400 weighing around 1400kg, with a 300zx outboard fitted and full tanks,

The regs are.

Under 2 tonne, GTM, brakes on one axle is ok.

Over 2 tonne, both axles with breakaway system. Overun type brakes are not allowed, so should be electric or hydrastar or similar.

And they hull looking at the website will be fine here

Mate,

Boat looks great. Others than any import restrictions which I am unaware of, I wouldn't hesitate to bring it if you can do it.

As for suitability around Sydney there is ample waterways for you to have a good time and a great way to explore the city.

As for suitability off shore I don't think it matters - only use it in conditions you are comfortable with. I have a 10ft punt and have a fair bit of fun around Sydney harbour.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk