Newbie report - (Sydney, Central Coast)

justtri

Hey all,

THE ENTRANCE - 4.30pm - 8.30pm

Headed up to the entrance for my first session. I had a crack just left of the road bridge. Caught about 5 little bream about 10-15 cm using peeled prawns.

Switched over to the graphite rod with braid (first time user) to have a go at a TT blade. After a couple of casts a little tailor 20cm tailor smashed it. Awesome retrieve with the Blade, as you feel the vibration when lifting the rod up.

NORTHBRIDGE - 11pm - 3am

It was good to get a few bites, so I thought i might head to northbridge for a fish. Using chicken breast and prawns got a few little snappers (little bream but pink). Biggest about 20cm and they got tiny.

I will keep trying see if i can bag myself a keeper lol.

Well done mate, a tailor on a blade is excellent for a first go. Hopefully those little snapper grow up to be huge one day so you can catch them again. Keep getting out there and the good fish will come.

As far as using a 7ft rod for the beach as long as your not planning on breaking any distance casting records it should be fine but not ideal. The main reasons for longer rods at the beach is casting distance and keeping your line out of the breaking waves. If your throwing a blade/metal type lure or soft plastic with a fairly weighty jig head you should be ok, spinning just behind the shore break. Look for the darker patches of water between the breaking waves and have a crack. An arvo on the beach even without any success is better than not being on the beach.

(In reply to your adopt a learner thread)...

Edited by SMn