VHF from home?

Paikea

What is the difference between sitting in my boat in my driveway and talking to boats offshore and having a VHF unit in my office 5 meters above the boat doing the same thing?

I assume the latter is illegal but any other differences? Aerial type etc?

Just a thought

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

Paikea, you're not allowed to operate a marine band transmitter on land unless you're a licensed coast station. You can't become a coast station unless you meet certain criteria which rules out recreational use and allows only limited private commercial use.

When using the radio in your boat whilst in the driveway the intent with which you use it matters. A radio check before heading out to launch is probably OK, but chatting about what's biting and where isn't. I however don't think the ACMA is going to worry about a few sentences here and there.

you need a acma license but otherwise you can do it as long as you use it correctly. being in the office you can get a base antenna which gives more of a gain and gets better coverage like the ones coastal patrol uses . the authorities wont care as long as you dont abuse it

I guess that listening to guys catching fish whilst sitting in my office may not be such a good idea.

Totally frustrating sitting here whilst I am hearing all about Marlin strikes, Dolly's being caught, Kingies everywhere. Ah well, dream on!

Cheers

Paikea