Outboard upgrade

camoh

After someadvice I have a 3.6m quintrex dart with a 15hp evinrude looking to upgrade with a 25hp mariner I have. Would I have to reinforce the transom to upgrade? One the mariner have to replace the impeller on motor have a rough idea what to do any tips or things to watch out for? Thanks in advance

Cam

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I don't think you'd have to upgrade, but that's just an opinion.

If you have the tools and a little know how, changing an impeller is fairly straight forward. There's some good clips on YouTube. Can't remember exactly how much it cost but I had to replace the impeller housing also because it had been heat damaged from being run with out water ( forgot the muffs on, next time went out, started motor and muffs were still on).

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

I had a 335 dart, and found that after fitting a casting deck, elec. motor + battery that 15HP was not enuf. Swapped it for a20HP Yamaha ($1000 + 15 HP Yamaha) and all good. Had to put about 60mm spacer under the new motor to get it to the correct height on the transom.

Guest Aussie007

After someadvice I have a 3.6m quintrex dart with a 15hp evinrude looking to upgrade with a 25hp mariner I have. Would I have to reinforce the transom to upgrade? One the mariner have to replace the impeller on motor have a rough idea what to do any tips or things to watch out for? Thanks in advance

Cam

that boat might only be rated to 20hp, might be ok if your mariner is a 20-25hp version but could be the 25-30hp version and you'll avoid your insurance

how come u want to upgrade?

Guest Aussie007

Rello borrowed motor a while ago finally got it back just sitting there dont mind if I have to beef transom up pretty keen to put it to use and get around abit quicker

do u read the marine rescue post on FR about people being rescued?, i remember reading one only a couple of weeks ago and a major percentage of boating accidents are from over powered vessels

i reckon the manufacturer does a good job of maximum HP ratings for boats, they keep it safe and within the boats limits, going from a 15hp to a 25hp is a big difference its almost double the HP and some 15hp engines are 250cc and a 25hp is 430cc i wouldnt do it