beginner setup

dufmack97

Hey guys new to fishraider and starting up fishing.

I have a cheap-ish shimano r2000 rod and reel combo, it has 2-4kg line i would guess mono? I always hear about leader when setting up rigs and am wondering how necessary it is for me. I usually fish around bobbin head area but also around balmoral wharf. I target bream but wish to target whatever is possible in these area's. I have never used leader and just attached my sinker and hooks to my line and this usually works yet am looking to improve in the species and sizes I catch.

I'm wondering what leader i should get if any, also what is the deal with using swivels. i have a bag of small snap swivels yet am unaware if they are good for me. what is a good general purpose rig for these area's? and is my rod gonna hold up going any larger species etc jewfish around greenwhich wharf. Last thing is I've never had success with lures, are they just wrong in these areas or with my rod or do i just have the wrong ones (one small metal chrome one and a small metal pilchard)? sorry for the barrage of questions any answers appreciated.

Cheers,

Mack

Hi mate,

In most cases, leaders are used with braid so in your case, a leader probably isn't necessary. Only time you might need one is if you're targeting flathead or mulloway which do have teeth and may cut through 2-4kg line, so a heavier leader might be necessary.

Re snap swivels, they might be useful if you're using lures as some lures can spin and put a lot of twist in your line, and also for changing lures/rigs easily. However, given the way you are currently fishing, it's probably not a necessity.

As for the lures, they work best on Pelagics like salmon, tailor, bonito etc..... You just need them to show up and be feeding on similar sized baitfish. So probably handy to have them with you, especially at Balmoral where they do turn up from time to time.

Aidan