Austinmer and Bullit (sat 18 Jan)

elferoz777

Thought I would hit the stones at Austi behind the headland and it appeared so did everyone else.

Apart from a blind shark no one caught a single fish in the 90 mins I decided to stay there. I did see some interesting blackfish rigs that were quite left of centre.

I have found this spot disappointing...its a largish ledge with deep water but there is nothing there for the most part.

Maybe a late evening fish would change that.

We then headed to my ever faithful reef at Bulli.

Went ride on low tide so we could walk out further than normal but found the reef was eating us a live.

I think the brother in law donated at least $ 50 worth of sinkers and hooks and poorly fixed baits for zero fish. I also spend nearly two hours either re rigging for him or getting him unstuck from the rocks...At 17 I think he is more than capable so next time we head out its going to be at a quiet spot and he is going to learn the ABCs.

None the less I decided after watching him struggle I would fish at my feet again. The water was about 30 cms deep but that was all that was needed. I felt a slight nibble on my cooked prawn and struck accordingly...Im on ..thinking I was going to get busted off I pull quite hard and nearly launch Drummer number one 2 meters out of the water. Love the fight in these guys and even the undersized ones give you a few heart pounding moments.

I caught a few all of which went back except one 30 cm model.

I have heard that the bigger ones come around in winter? is that true?

I am yet to land a stonker like some of the other raiders have.....may be the reef I fish is too shallow?

Who knows but ill be back again and again

post-21984-0-76210300-1390088431_thumb.jpg

post-21984-0-56910300-1390088448_thumb.jpg

post-21984-0-52609000-1390088465_thumb.jpg

post-21984-0-69281600-1390088497_thumb.jpg

Has been quiet on the beaches around my way as well this weekend. Hahaha I fished rocks the other day after spending a good deal of time on the beach and was shocked when I started losing tackle, donated a few sinkers and hooks myself!!! It's steep learning curve he's lucky to have you show him the ropes. Keep up the good work mate!

Love reports like this - helps me learning what each fish looks like and what they are called :)

I would of been happy as the proverbial if I landed a fish like that :) Never seen one before. Sounds like prawns are a pretty universal bait for a few different fish :)