Who has bought a boat new before and still has it? (any long timers)

locodave

Well the way I see it, I have never gone over seas, never really been into the clubbing scene either so don't spend on the weekend shouting rounds :P

I agree it's a lifestyle decision, it's definitely not an investment, but like you say the memories you have, in my eyes anyway are priceless.

Wow, what a mixed bag of advice. Enough to make your head spin.

So here are the thoughts of someone who has owned 9 boats ranging from a home built 12 Ft ply skiff used for diving, to a 10 M game boat. Only two of my boats were bought new, the rest were all second hand.

The first new boat that I bought turned out to be a dog and was sold within 6 weeks. The second new boat, a centre console turned out too wet for me and was traded in on my current (second hand boat) inside two years. I would not buy a new boat again, there are too many bargains around that beat the heck out of buying new and then having to fit it out.

Once you start owning boats you will always get a yen to move to something better, bigger, or even a smaller purpose built boat like say a flats boat, or one that can be used for skiing etc.

I have come to the conclusion that buying/owning a boat is a little like a love affair. You need to make sure that it will suit your intended use and if and when you do want to trade up or down you can do so without any major hassles. That is, in the case of boats they hold their value. By way of example, an acquaintance of mine bought a relatively unknown brand of boat for around $75K. He has been trying to sell it for a considerable time but no one has been the least bit interested. Well known brands are the way to go.

And remember Rule No 1. buy your boat before you get a wife. That way she cannot complain about you having a boat. Or better still, marry someone who is mad keen on boating/fishing.

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

Im in the same position - Having had the last boat for nearly 2 years, it just wasn't allowing me to do what I wanted it too. I fish a lot (usually 2x per week), it is my passion, my sanity and makes me a better wife and mother cause I get to have time for myself, Im not simply the cook, cleaner etc. So, with an incredibly supportive husband, Im waiting for the brand new boat to be delivered.

It is an investment of sorts - just not financial, but there are different types of investments. If your priority is financial security - get a house and don't look back!

Having a family, the house had to come first for us, but after doing that, the boat was a close second.

Of course, it is a decision that can be relatively easily undone (just at some cost).

. I fish a lot (usually 2x per week), it is my passion, my sanity and makes me a better wife and mother cause I get to have time for myself, Im not simply the cook, cleaner etc.

Meg, we should spread your message as above to the wives of all fishos. :-rolleyes .

Cheers

Paikea

Mate get a Hobie pro angler 14.

If you want to feel like a boat owner.... Put it on a trailer. Hahahaha.

I bought a stacer nomad a few years ago. Spent about 18k on it. Sold it a few years later. Got into kayak fishing which is better IMO. No rego, no petrol, no whingin mates telling you where you should be fishing and how you should be fishin. No dramas Hahahah just kidding.

In all seriousness though,

If you didn't grow up around boats, or with a tradie upbringing, boats are a pain in the arse. Things will rust and break on your boat that you didn't even know existed. And unless you live near someone like huett marine, finding reliable marine mechanics/electricians is hard and expensive.

• 1 month later...

A bit late to reply but I like this topic!

I guess the $75k is a number beyond my means having a family etc but the key point that was raised was that it's a lifestyle choice not a financial one. For someone who has two kids under two - if you plan in having a family any time soon, consider this as your fishing time will be greatly reduced!

Another thing not really touched on is the car - once the boat gets to big you'll need to consider your towing options. If you need a new car too....

This topic raises a few questions for me as I have a 40yr old tinnie still going strong and will be looking for a family friendly upgrade in the next few years for something that can last for ages and take my fishing to the next level.

Where is a good price point to start looking for a 2nd hand boat that can handle the open ocean a bit better and provide a few more comforts. Also a boat that can be handled by one person. Is 20-30k a good starting point?

Price creep is always an issue when looking at boats as there is always something bigger or better. I could easily choose a 75k boat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk