Storm Cover vs Allover Cover

Berleyguts

Hi,

I am looking at getting a custom trailerable cover for my new boat (Stacer 449 Outlaw side console). I have a supplier in mind already. There are 2 basic types: an all over cover, which attaches under the boat with straps (or to the trailer) and there is a storm cover, which attaches to the gunwhales with press studs.

I like the convenience of the storm cover and less flapping(?) but am concerned that the press studs could cost me a fish if the line hits one.

What do you think? I'd appreciate feedback on raiders' experiences with both types of covers.

Here's my boat:

Posted Image

Thanks,

Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cover to my 18 Ft Tournament finishes just under the gunwales and has a draw string in the edge of the cover that allows you to pull the cover tight under the edge of the gunwale section. The cover goes to either side of the motor well leaving room to tighten the drawstring. It never moves, best system I have ever seen.

Don't like press studs, they always corrode and straps under the boat are a pain to use.

If you would like better details of the system let me know and I will post some pics.

Cheers

Paikea

Paikea, can you put up a photo of your cover showing how it attaches to the gunwales?

Berleyguts, I have the press stud arrangement and I'm always replacing them as the salt builds up around the and they fall off. I've never lost a fish to a press stud though. Who is the supplier you have in mind? I'm looking to get my cover re done as the sun has claimed it.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cover to my 18 Ft Tournament finishes just under the gunwales and has a draw string in the edge of the cover that allows you to pull the cover tight under the edge of the gunwale section. The cover goes to either side of the motor well leaving room to tighten the drawstring. It never moves, best system I have ever seen.

Don't like press studs, they always corrode and straps under the boat are a pain to use.

If you would like better details of the system let me know and I will post some pics.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks Paikea. Some pics of your setup would be appreciated. Now that you mention it, the guy did say there was a drawstring option but I thought he was talking about an Allover cover, not a storm cover.

Baz

Following are pics of my cover. Although my boat is bigger than yours and a different configuration the same principle of drawing the cover tight under the gunwale or, as in my case under the join between the F/G deck and the hull will apply to your boat with the drawstring locking under the section of the gunwale that protrudes past the hull..

As long as you have something for the drawstring to hook under this system will work and be the easiest to use.

Photo 1 shows the all over cover with the bottom of the cover following the join of the hull.

Photo 2 shows how the cover fits over the bow which allows the drawstring to be pulled tight at the back of the boat locking the cover in place.

Photo 3 shows how the cover fits around my T Top. The drawstring can be "broken" at this point which is needed to fit and remove the cover. The large zipper allows the cover to fit around the legs of the T Top whilst a Velcro flap across the top of this section seals the top of the closing piece of the cover.

Photos 4 and 5 show the drawstring pulled around the transom to lock the cover in place. Both sides of the drawstring have loops in them which, by feeding the drawstring through one loop and drawing it tight and then coming back through the loop in the opposite part of the drawstring and back to the first loop means that you have a terrific mechanical advantage to really tighten the drawstring. A bit like using a block and tackle.

I hope that this is sufficient for you to see how a drawstring cover works. Good Luck and please post some pics of whatever you end up with.

If you click on each photo it will expand to full size.

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

Glad to help Baz, make sure that you get the heavy duty cover material as shown on my boat. it is fantastic and should last a long time.

I bought a cover for my caravan that was from a lighter material and it only lasted 2 years.

Cheers

Paikea

I forgot to add that the cover over the nose of the boat running up to the gunwale forms an essential part of being able to tow with the cover on. It makes sure that the cover when tightened via the drawstring will not come off the front of the boat.

Cheers

Paikea