Casting Metals Off the Rocks

Scad

Hello Everyone,

My name is George and I'm new to this site. I own a small tinnie which I usually take out in the estuary's but I wouldn't mind gettn into a bit of spinning off the rocks at Terrigal and Avoca. Would anyone be able to fill me in on the basics of how to retrieve and if I should let the lure sink a little before retrieving ?

Any help would be awesome

Cheers

George

Hi George. I can't really advise you on metals since I rarely use them, but I can provide this tip... Bonito are biting big time at the moment off the rocks and in my opinion the best lure is either a squid skirt on a long trace behind a float (looks strange at first, but you cast and retrieve - think of the float as a teaser lure when trolling lures from a boat, the float creates splashes as it is retrieved and grabs attention), followed by small rapala x-rap lures. If you go to Avoca you will no doubt see people using these so just ask if you can have a closer look at their rig. Good luck.

cast out as far as you can as straight as possible then crank back as fast as you can, stop a few seconds then do it again, lots of times the bonnies will smash it when paused.

Look at the people around you and cast where they don't...

The halco will work on the bonito/salmon/tailor/kingy...goodluck...rapala cd7 fire tiger always catch bonito...same with livelylures/mackbait...or squid skirt on floats...the cheapest and most effective lure for bonito/salmon/kingy...

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Should I be attaching the lure with a clip or swivel?

Just tie your lure with rapala or uni knot...if u r using braid...use a trace around 1m long...i use 30/40lb trace so i dont lose my lure...20lb mainline/braid...goodluck

Exactly how far do you need to be casting metals / squid skirts / floats with squid skirts behind them?

Would a 4000 reel with a 10 foot 8 - 12 kilo rod do the trick?

Cast as far as you can...retrieve as fast as you can with the metals...medium retrieve on the skirts with your rod on a 45/60 degree position up and down motion to make the more surface action with the float...

4000 reel and 10ft rod will be OK...it will be better to up your reel to 5000/6000 for better chance on landing the fish off rocks...12ft rod for more casting distance...20/30lb mainline...30/40lb trace...if you want to land bigger fish in the 3kg average...goodluck

Can anyone recommend some rocks around Sydney worth trying?

I'm usually more of a beach / boat angler but would love to try spinning off some rocks!

Anyone heading out this weekend for a spin?

I know hill 60 is the bonito spot to be but its a bit of a hike

Can anyone recommend some rocks around Sydney worth trying?

I'm usually more of a beach / boat angler but would love to try spinning off some rocks!

Anyone heading out this weekend for a spin?

I know hill 60 is the bonito spot to be but its a bit of a hike

Mate...try watsons bay/camp cove...its pretty safe there...

Thanks fisholb, My reel is actually an 8000 loaded with 40lb power pro. My mistake. Im keen to have a crack at spinning!

You can still use 8000 for spinning...a bit big but will still work...just a bit slow on the retrieve...my ideal reel for spinning is 4500/6500 with 20/30lb braid off rocks chasing pelagics...bonito/salmon/kingy/tailor...halco twistys/slice in 20/30g...same with spanyid...goodluck...squid skirt on float is one of the best for pelagics...length of trace i use is same length of my rod for squid skirts...1m for metals/hardbodies...

Raider 65 easily the best entry level metal for kings/salmon/tailor/bonito, Halcos are great with good action. Basically just cast as far as you can, let sink (depends on depth, how long you let it sink) then crank it back in. Mix up your retrieves aswell dont just do the same flat out crank in everytime.

Hi George, Welcome.

I was fortunate to fish Avoca and Terrigal during the peak period of the 70's. We only had metal lures in those days and mostly home made. They worked and I'm sure they still will but you now have other alternatives, as suggested, so give them a try. We would generally let the lure sink, but depending upon where you were the sinking time would vary. For example, off Mugs at Avoca a wait of 5 seconds would be the maximum. Off Flat Rock, 10 seconds is fine. Retrieve quickly for a 5 seconds and then stop for a couple of seconds and repeat until the lure is in site. At Terrigal, the depth is less and a 5 second wait is the maximum. One of the best spin fishermen at Avoca was the late Bill Doe and one of his secrets that he showed me was not to just cast as far out as you can, rather cover an arc (if you dont have others around you) - cast along the rock face and retrieve and then cast 20m wider out until you have completed 180 degrees. Then move along and repeat. Persistence is the key.....it will pay off.

Cheers,

Steve