Learning in Sydney

SgtBundy

Hi FR.

I have started getting back into fishing having enjoyed it as a kid up north on the Richmond river - spurred on by the stream of flathead photos my dad keeps sending while me out on his Hobie. I have started with some light kit intended for bream and flathead but I am keen to have a go at other species that inhabit the sydney area. So far I have succeeded in fattening some baby snapper but thats about it ;)

I have tried a few spots on the hawkesbury around Broklyn, Blues Point and Bradleys Head and breifly checked out Balmoral wharf which looks promising and by the threads on it sounds like there is some good fishing to be had there, if you can find a spot. I intend having a go around spit bridge as well, and around Manly. My main problem is I am an hour plus drive from any of those spots in good traffic, and available time is limited so I can't really pick my times around tides or anything, just when I have a few hours free and have the opportunity to get away.

I am just wondering if this forum can provide a few points for a novice like me to get started into picking up something more challenging than a 15cm snapper. Just some broad tips along the lines of:

What sort of baits to be using at what times of year? At the moment I am using the garlic/parmesan chicken (easy to have on hand), but just wondering if I need to use something more specific for better results. From some of the posts it sounds like pilchards might be a better go around Balmoral. I have a few lures to play with as well (squidgies) and I am looking to pad those out with a few more varients.

How can I adjust my methods depending on what tide/time I have available - for example on the weekend I was able to have a go during the rising tide in the afternoon/evening. Is there anything I can target at those times or do I really need to be trying for other times if possible?

Any other tips you can suggest for someone who is not an overly technical fisherman, but willing to learn?

Thanks.

Mate firstly welcome to fishraider, it is a treasure trove of info an folks willing to help.

Now onto the help.

If you want to get away from the pickers I would suggest using the plastics that you have. Depending on the depth of the water and the tide flow the jig heads will change but less than 5 metres deep with little to no tide flow I would use a 1/8 jig head and an 80 to 100mm plastic hopped along the bottom of a nice sandy patch near a drop off or around weeds. This will put you in for a good chance for a few flatties. Anything over 5 metres in an estuary or somewhere with a bit of flow I would use a 1/4 jig head and do the same. As long as you can reach the bottom and hop it along there you will be in a very good spot for some flatties. For bream I would use a much smaller plastic and a much smaller jig head (1/16 to to 1/8 depending on tide flow and depth once more) and fish rocky edges or oyster leases. Fish these much slower with smaller hops and longer pauses. If you you think you are going too slow... Go slower.

Tides also play a big part.

If you want flatties I like to fish a drop off from sand flats on an outgoing tide as they love to sit and wait for prawns or baitfish to be swept off the flats and sit in the deeper parts waiting to ambush whatever flows off.

For bream incoming tides work quite well also as they like to swim up and have first pickings at whatever is up among the rocks and leases.

Jews love structure like bridges, jetties, moored boats and deep holes. The best way to get them is a heavy jig head, big plastic (up to 150mm) and to double rip them off the bottom then let the float back down. As soon as it hits the bottom give it another double rip and repeat back to the boat.

If you would like some more info on other fish and or techniques or need a little refinement just let me know but that should keep you occupied for now.

Good luck and tight lines.

Luc.

Thanks for that - having a go last night at Balmoral I can see how the bait just tended to bring on the pickers but nothing substantial was having a go, although there was something disturbing the surface occasionally as the tide started to go out. I did get my first squid though (with chicken), by surprise as I was going for bream around the jetty structure.

Will have a look around for alternate jig heads - the current ones I have were bought for shallow weed beds, but I have already seen I need some heavier ones in deeper and faster water.

Had a few trips out now for nothing more little snapper and the odd undersize bream. However on Sunday arvo I got this nice flattie near spit bridge on a prawn - he must have sat on it because I didn't feel anything until I just went to wind in to check the bait and it took off. Not a great shot of it but measured 44cm - made up for a bit of frustration on the last few attempts. Sent him back as well as we were not likely to be eating him soon.

Tried a few lure attempts as well but nothing had a go at them. Next attempts might be further up the harbour as I think the tolls and parking are adding up a bit too much for my current results :)

B3CC8EC1-FE49-4044-ABE9-D39F2BB62BA1_zps