Port stephens 22/2/2014-23/2/2014

fisholb

Took the wife n kids to port stephens for my 1st 2014 nswgfa interclub tournament. Got to soldiers point around 2pm friday 21/2. Took the family to the marina to show the boat. My eldest son decided to fish at the marina and caught 1 bream measured at 30cm. He was using chicken fillets for bait. While having dinner my eldest son asked me if he can come and watch us hunt for marlin. The skipper said ok so my son was very excited. I was very worried that my son might get seasick because the forecast was not that good and he only went outside in the open once.

Saturday day 1

Didnt get much sleep. Got up at 5am. Left the marina around 630am. Did the pass at nelson bay marina with around 120+ boats. It was awesome. Head to the heads and waited for the broadcast to start fishing. We got 2 bonito for bait near the lighthouse and we headed towards the carpark then the shelf. Heard plenty of tag and release. Unfortunately we didnt see any action. My son did pretty well. He didnt get seasick. The condition was bad. Got back to the marina around 7pm. Our score 0/0/0

Sunday day 2

Got up around 5am. My son was very keen to go again. Left the marina around 630am. The forecast was not good. Caught half a dozen bonito and headed back to the shelf. We didnt see any action until around 2pm. We got hit a couple of times but didnt hook up. All the crew were excited. After about 1hr we got another hit on the shotgun and it took some line but again didnt hook up. We didnt get anymore hits after that. Back at the marina around 7pm. Our score 3/0/0

The experience was unforgetable especially with my son with me. Thank you very much to denis and mick for making one of my dreams come true. Also for giving me and my family the chance to experience the thrill of hunting for marlin and for making me as one of the crew.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I've seen you coming back, we were BBQing at little beach, when this Armada of boats came back. The drive past was quite a show on it's own.

I only went to the heads with my 470sports, and that was enough to see what was out there: nothing for me :-)

So will you go again next year? There is also the Trailer fishing tournament in Nelson soon.